I noticed this error when I was passing by the screen

Filesets processed:  428 of 761
System Installation Time: 1 hr 12 mins    Tasks Complete: 60%

installp: APPLYING software for:
        Java5.sdk 5.0.0.620

Restoring files, please wait.
READ ERROR: Media surface error
inurest: Error in restoring files
inurest: Failure on system call to execute command /usr/sbin/restbyname -S  -xYAqf/tmp/SPOT/installp/ppc/Java5.sdk -Z /tmp/inutmp5enMaa/sorted.al.
Restoring files, please wait.

lslpp -l | grep java 

returns nothing.

Now, is there a way, I can find out what other filesets have not been installed by of Media (DVD) error ?

Yes: have a look in the log file. I suppe you did this using SMIT, so there is a file "smit.log" in your HOME directory where everything having appeared on screen before can be found.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

bakunin, this was fresh/new installation through SMS menu, I checked smit.log did not in it. Is there any other log I can check for ?

Thanks !

hmm, i haven't installed a system through the SMS menu with a real DVD for such a long time....

Your probably best bet is to read all the files on DVD and see where the error happens:

find /path/to/DVDmnt -type f -print -exec cat {} > /dev/null \; >/your/logfile 2>&1

At any rate, just get another DVD. It is obviously broken and there is little gain in finding out exactly how much broken it is, no? If you have a service agreement you can download the complete 7.2 from Fix Central. And if you have written it to a faulty medium (or just don't trust the download to be valid) just download it once more.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

1 Like