Unable to install gcc in AIX 5.3

Hello...
I have downloaded RPM for gcc in a directly where I tried installing using rpm but it says the following

/oracle/dB>rpm -iv gcc-4.2.0-3.aix5.3.ppc.rpm
failed to open /var/opt/freeware/lib/rpm/packages.rpm: Permission denied

error: cannot open /var/opt/freeware/lib/rpm/packages.rpm
/oracle/dB>ls -l /var/opt/freeware/lib/rpm/packages.rpm
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     system        27592 Jul  8 2009  /var/opt/freeware/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

I am trying to install it using oracle user not with root (I am not admin !)
Much appreciated your help.

Shahnaz.

Become root to install OS packages.

In windows, we install own packages/Softwares/Tools with out Admin interference ! Not sure why it is not happening here...
I have seen an option like prefix <Our Home/other directory where we OWN it> ... this too not worked.

Can some one throw light on it,pls. ?

--Shahnaz.

As stated by rbatte1 - you must be root to install software like this on a UNIX system. Not only is the rpm file permissions owned by root but the directories where it will be placed are owned and controlled by root. Have your UNIX Admin do the install and you should be able to do what is needed after that.

That's not quite correct. It seems that you can install software without admin interference because your user probably has been granted admin rights for the local machine. Without those, it wouldn't be possible to install software.

The same is possible on Unix using ACLs, policies, security profiles, or just sudo (if installed), with a much higher granularity (eg. the user may install software but not remove it), auditing, and the requirement that any such privilege elevation has to be explicitly requested.