Unable to configure samba on linux 7.1

Hello

I am able to connect from Linux machine to Windows machine, but i can not connect from Windows to Linux. Even i can print also from linux to windows... what could be the problem... pl help.

thanks

Check your /etc/smb.conf file. Depending on whether you've set up server security, user security, or the other (I can't think of the name right now), you might actually have to have the user ID that is connecting (the windows user name) added to your /etc/passwd file - basically set up as a regular user. Also, did you run testparm after you set up the smb.conf file? Make sure the Unix permissions for the Samba-shared directories are set up to allow that particular user the appropriate access.

Samba is a tough thing to get set up the way you want it at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's worth it. Just keep trying... it comes eventually :slight_smile:

This is the best tip i could ever give anyone.

If you goto oreillys site they have the entire book on samba avaliable to view online for FREE.

Thanks it's very usefull !!!

I, too, have had problems using 7.1. Once I used Mandrake 8.0, it came up with no problem.

Just for conversation's sake and to reassure those who are looking into using Samba and are having difficulties... I'm using Mandrake 7.2 and although Samba does take some initial tweaking, it works great! I couldn't ask for anything more!