umount help

hi all,

I inherit a Solaris7 system with /home mounted via a share from the NFS server. When I look at mnttab, there are two entries mounted under /home. Let's say they are server:/home/a and server:/home/b. I would like to maintain /home/a but not /home/b. However, I just don't know where to remove the entries that specify the mounting of /home/a&b. BTW, the server "share" /home not /home/a&b.

Any idea? Appreciate any advice. Thank you in advance.

andrec

Look in /etc/vfstab

andrec,

You seem somewhat unsure of what to do with vfstab. If you do make changes, I'd suggest making a backup copy in the event that you make a syntax error in the file (cp /etc/vfstab /etc/vfstab.`date +%Y%m%d` .

Cheers,

Keith

If you are running NIS or NIS+, you may want to look at the auto maps in the service.

And on your system (/etc/auto_home /etc/auto_master) may also have been changed in a way to mount a & b.

You may also want to talk with the SA who manages the NFS server...

Have them remove your hostame from the list that pushes out /home/b if you no longer need that NFS mountpoint.

Regarding your question of what to remove from /etc/vfstab, you should have lines like this..

hostname.com:/home/a /home/a ... ... ...
hostname.com:/home/b /home/b ... ... ...

Just comment out or remove the /home/b entry... Make sure to backup the /etc/vfstab before making any changes to it.