Ultra 5 will not boot from DVD ROM :(

Hi,

I just got a new Ultra 5 and replaced the CD-ROM with an LG DVD-ROM (approved and listed in Sun HCL). Got the DVD-ROM installed to install Solaris 10. Im just learning and new to Solaris installation.

When I insert a Solaris 10 DVD I see that it gets mounted and File Manager opens and displays the ISO files.

However, when I get into OBP to try to install the via the DVD I get bad magic number and checksum errors (boot cdrom -install give same errors) -

ok boot cdrom -s

Boot device: /pci@1f, 0/pci@1,1/ide@3/cdrom@2,0:f File and args: -s
Bad magic number in disk label
Can't open disk label package

Can't open boot device

Bad checksum in disklabel
Can't open disk label package
Boot device: net File and args:
Network Link setup failed
Please Check Cable and Try AAgain.
Timeout waiting for ARP/RARP packet.

ok

Also here is the output of my probe-ide

ok probe-ide
Device 0 ( Primary Master )
ATA Model : WDDC WD136AA

Device 1 ( Primary Slave )
ATA Model: Maxtor 52049H4

Device 2 ( Secondary Master )
Removable ATAPI Model: HL-DT-STDVD-RAM GH22LP20

Device 3 ( Seconday Slave )
Not Present

ok

Could some one please let me know what could be wrong and step by step procedures to fix this?

Please help!

Thanks!
Ramesh.

Did you download the ISO and burn it to the DVD?

That is correct. I downloaded the iso file and burned it on the DVD. Read somewhere that burn speeds could make a difference so burnt a second DVD with Speed at 2x. Still no luck :(.

I strongly suspect, but cannot prove, that the problem is with the DVD you burned. Have you got an old original SPARC Solaris install DVD that you can try? Just to check the LG hardware is working and OBP can read it.

1 Like

OK so I out in the older Solaris 8 installation 'cd' and the DVDROM (which also reads and writes cds) can read it just fine. I was able to go to the OBP and boot off via the cdrom. This is so bizzare.

Not sure why it cant read the DVD that I burn. My burn speed was 2x.

Will it make a difference if I burnt it on just DVD+R as opposed to DVD+RW?

Thanks for all your help.

• Make sure the iso image is for SPARC
  • doing a reset-all before installing might work
1 Like

make sure you update the OBP to the latest and re-try

1 Like

It is worth a try.

Last question: Did you download the image from the Oracle site? Was it the SPARC Solaris 10 10/09 ISO? I was not able to get that image to boot when I downloaded it a few months ago but did not have time to investigate the problem then and forgot all about it until now.

1 Like

Thank you fpmurphy, Mack1982 and incredible for all your suggestions. I now have an installed working session of Solaris 10 on my Ultra 5.

All I did was re-download Solaris OS and write it on a DVD+R as opposed to DVD+- RW. Never seen anything so bizzare but I did see someone have the same problem when they tried to install via a RW CD.

I guess when they tell you at the ORACLE site to use DVD+R or DVD-R they are not kidding :).

Thanks!!