ulimit command

In Linux, What is the difference between using this command ulimit -c `ulimit -cH` and ulimit -c `ulimit -Hc` ?

Thanks

Here is the diff, 1st it would be better to do 'man ulimit'

[root@linux ~]# man ulimit

[root@src1 ~]# ulimit -Hc
unlimited
[root@src1 ~]# 

[root@src1 ~]# ulimit -cH
-bash: ulimit: H: invalid number

---------- Post updated at 06:53 AM ---------- Previous update was at 06:47 AM ----------

Also refer

ulimit -a and /etc/security/limits.conf

I am asking about Linux and not AIX. -cH does not work AIX only on Linux. the manual says ulimit -Hc. The -Hc works on both. Since I have a Linux OS, do i really need to change -cH to -Hc ? Because it will require a an app reboot. Any thoughts if if I leave it as -cH on my Linux box if it will cause an issue !

Thanks

Ulimit is implemented by the shell, and thus the options that are recognised, and thus the allowable order of the options, is up to each shell. Kshell allows either ulimit -Hc value or ulimit -cH value while bash seems only to allow -Hc value (probably because it assumes any characters following the 'c' without a space are to be interpreted as the value).

So the real question is what is your underlying shell that is interpreting your script? If it is bash, then you'll have to ensure that ulimit -Hc is what is coded. If you are using Kshell, then either format should work. I cannot say how other shells will react as I don't have any installed anywhere to test.

Perfect answer. thanks