ufsrestore accross the network

I am trying to do a ufsrestore accross the network and can't quite seem to get the syntax of the command correct. The manual says its possible to do this althought the man pages seem to only refer to a dump file when mentioing the network. I have the appropriate entrles in the .rhosts file and the have moved the tape to the position where the file system I want to restore is (it's the first one). Tha syntax I am using is

ufsrestore r machine:/dev/rmt/0 (where machine is the remote hostname)

and the error I am getting is /dev/rmt/0: No such file or directory exists.

If I am doing it locally and use the command

ufsrestore r /dev/rmt/0

I get no problems at all

Any thoughts why this won't work for me

apologies this is in the wrong forum ... would still appreciate the help though

My guess would be a security problem. Does a command like:

remsh machine uname -a

work? If not, the ufsrestore won't work either.

That command works fine.

It is finding the other remote system. My guess from the error message is that maybe it is looking for a file name as opposed to a device and that maybe I have to modify the syntax somehow.

Any thoughts let me know

The syntax looks right. Here is a Sun doc that shows this syntax. The only other thing that I can think of is that the system with the tape drive needs the rmt program to access it. Could your rmt be missing?

Thanks for the info.

I seem to have solved the issue using the doc you mentioned but not quite sure that it should work.

If I am on the server with the tape drive attached the command

ufsrestore r server:/dev/rmt/0

will restore the contents of the tape to a local file system on the server (even thought I know I don't have to explicitly name the server since it is local to the tape drive).

If I use the same command from the client machine it won't work and gives the errors I have outlined above. However if I change it slightly to

ufsrestore fr server:/dev/rmt/0

it seems to work fine. Thanks for the help.