UFSDUMP & UFSRESTORE problems

Hi, guys !
I need some expert help on following problem:
When trying to restore content of a machine using another backup machine using Ufsdump/Ufsrestore, it worked on /local1, but when attemting to do the same on /local2,/local3 and /local4, I get permission problems.
Running superuser does not help.

Could anybody suggest what I could do ? My machine's /local2,/local3 and /local4 are empty and need to be restored from that other machine asap.

THanks !
Dennis
:cool:

People may need more info if they are to help you. What OS are you using? What command line did you try? What exact error message do you see? Also, what does:
df -n /local2
display?

More information on this topic:
I use Solaris 8 OS.

Here is output of 'df -n /local2' as requested.
/local2 : ufs

Disk appears to be clean.

Have also tried to TAR commands instead of UFSdump/restore, an no combinations of these commands could help to copy for example local 2:

Here is an example of command:
tar cf - . | ( cd /target_machine/local2; tar xvfp - ) & tar cf - . | ( cd /target_machine/local2; tar xvfBp - ).

All commands tried fail with a permission error.
What can I do about it ?

Thanks, Dennis

Have you tried touch a file in those partitions? If you can't even create a file, the extract of ufsrestore or tar won't work - check your permissions on both servers for those filesystems.

Hi, thanks for the answer.
What I don't understand is that I am supposed to have full permissions to the disks and this should not be happenning.
When I am trying to create a file by using "touch", I can do it being superuser, but not a regular user.
What do I do next ? Thanks !
:confused:

try chmod 777 for now. after you restore, you can go back to your old perms.

Will try that, but doubt that it can resolve the problem. I also need write permission for other users than superuser in the future.

put together a list of users that will require write access to that directory, add them to a group and give that group write permissions on the directory (775). Never give world write perms.. though I am sure that you know that already..

Hi, Blowtorch !
Thank you for the advise. Though, I am pretty fresh in this business, and would appreciate if you could send me a couple advises on the commands to perform these actions.
What files do I need to change, and how the command line should look like if I need to assign 775 permission to whole /local2 for instance ?

Thanks in advance
Regards
Dennis

to create a group: groupadd <groupname>
to add a user to a group: usermod -g <groupname> <username>
to change permissions of a file/directory: chmod <permissions> <file/dir name>
to change permissions of an entire directory tree:
chmod -R <permissions> <file/dir>

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

blowtorch