UDP Server/Daemon for receiving & acknowledging data

I'm looking for a couple high level pointers to writing a UDP server that will be acknowledging data at a rate of approximately twelve packets every second and will be running on and older but more or less dedicated Solaris 9 box.

Acknowledging the data packets is relatively simple, after checksumming I need only pull the header data from the original packet and include it in the acknowledgment. I will need to keep a log of the acknowledgments sent, either by just streaming to a binary file or to an archive via MQSeries.

It's been suggested that I look into inetd... I'm also looking over a couple simple UDP client/server examples, but I'm a relative noob at networking and could use a couple high level pointers lest I end up in any number of rabbit-holes along the way.

Any suggestions/advice would be much appreciated...

Thanks!

There's a pretty good tutorial on network programming here, including samples for a datagram (UDP) client and server.

Thanks - I have the Stevens, "Unix Network Programming Volume I" reference but it is out of date (2nd edition) so I've been looking for source material online.

Any advice as to the best way to implement... even general "direction" suggestions would be much appreciated.?