[UBUNTU] mount.nfs fails in Ubuntu / Works on Red Hat!!!

Gurus,

I want log in locally to my Lucid (10.04) workstation and have my code saved over the network on my samba account

At work, all developers have samba user ids and when we were running Red Hat, we went thru the following procedure to get setup.

* open a shell session to NFS server and execute the �id� command to get my samba user information.
$> ssh �l alberto our_nfs_server
$> id
uid=7090(alberto) gid=100(users) groups=100(users)
* Create locally a login on my Linux workstation with the same login and uid.
$>sudo useradd �u 7090 �g 100 �d /home/alberto �s /bin/bash alberto
* Define a password for my created login. 
$>sudo passwd alberto
* Change permissions on the /home/alberto directory. Example:
$>sudo chown alberto:100 /home/alberto
* Place this line at end of fstab:
      our_nfs_server:/d0/homedirs/alberto /home/alberto nfs defaults 0 0
* Mount the local directory 
$>sudo mount -a
mount error(13): Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting our_nfs_server:/d0/homedirs/alberto

It does not work at all!!?? However, the same procedure on a RedHat workstation works fine. No errors.

We want to move all of our workstations/servers to Ubuntu so any help is welcome.

Thank you!!!

Al.

Is there anything in the /etc/exports on your NFS server? Also, you mention SAMBA and NFS, are you sure you are using NFS on your RH machine and not mounting it via CIFS?

What directory were you in when you issued the command?

I misspoke. Samba is what we're using here. I checked and the shares are being exported.

I re-did everything (Useradd, usermod...) within the root terminal and it seemed to work.

However, I get an error message when I log in (i.e. mount the directory) telling me that the

a) file .ICEauthority could not be updated
b) file .nautilus and Desktop could not be created.
c) gconf-sanity-check-2 exited with status 256

I opened a shell session to my samba account, created both .nautilus and .ICEauthority (chmod 755) ; I went to /etc/gconf on my machine and chmod-ed it 755.

Same problem. Any advice?