Ubuntu Graphic Quality Issue?

Okay I have my computer dual booted with Ubuntu 9.04 and Windows Vista, when I play a game on Vista such as Soldier Front or Quake its smooth and very enjoyable, but when I try to get a simple game such as Scorched 3D, its glitchy, choppy, and the background seeps through to the game (I get a checkerboard of random black squares) every now and then, same goes with any other game I play. Even Robocode is crappy lol.

Do I need to install drivers or something on this seperate OS? I have a Sony Vaio VGN-CR220E laptop but I already installed all my required drivers on Vista? I tried the sony vaio website but I don't know if those drivers are Unix compatible.

a quick look at the VGN-CR220E tells me you should have the Intel Mobile GM965 Express chipset which hosts the Intel X3100 graphics.
You can download the drivers from this page (just scroll down the page), or compile them yourself (instructions are on the page).

You may find this page useful as well, as it covers the x3100 driver installation for Ubuntu.

good luck

Both pages seem to be severely out of date, I ran the 4 commands it said.

casey@casey-laptop:~$ git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-video-intel
bash: git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-video-intel: No such file or directory

No such file or directory on all 4...

There isn't exactly instructions on how to install they just give me 4 code commands and I assume I'm supposed to input that into the terminal? =/ Also I tried that X3100 Xorg 2.1.0 driver install thing and it said there was a newer version already installed, and the other two zip files I have no idea what to do with them as they didn't exactly come with instructions either... =/

---------- Post updated at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:35 AM ----------

Intel Linux Graphics: Installation

I checked out that webpage I found on google but the commands and everything are rediculously confusing, I dont know what to do at this point. I've never installed ubuntu drivers and I don't know if its safe to just be inserting all those commands into my terminal not knowing what they will do. :frowning:

The Intel Linux Graphics page has a link to the 2009 Q2 versions of the drivers. I don't know about where you live, but where I come from it's still 2009 so these drivers are not so "severely out of date".

In Ubuntu installing video drivers is much the same as for Debian (Ubuntu is a Debian distro). If you do some searches, you will find enough info on installing video drivers under Debian.

Have a look at your /etc/X11/xorg.conf, especially the Section "Device" part. If you have an entry Driver "vesa", it's using the generic vesa driver. Change it to Driver "intel" and add the line Option "dri" "true" for 3d.

if you want more info, you should provide more info (like your xorg.conf, etc.)

Yes its 2009, and I realize I need a 2009 driver, but the forum you said to check out was a 2007 post and that was probably why my xorg conf had a later version already installed because I doubt that 2007 post had 9.04 Ubuntu in mind.

All smartass remarks aside...

I don't understand why I have to search for how to install drivers in Debian to do it for Ubuntu, is there really so little support for Ubuntu that we have to search another operating system? Also I have only been using Ubuntu for 2-3 days, so I don't know exactly how to find out where my /etc/X11/xorg.conf is or I would provide that.. I'll try a search for the xorg.conf and see if that file comes up on my computer.

phox. You don't have to do anything. Nobody is demanding anything of you. You came for help and somebody provided you with help. If you choose to use it, that is your decision.

You don't have to use Ubuntu, nobody forced you to use it either. You can freely choose to stop using it and pick up FreeBSD, AmigaOS, Windows, Solaris or another OS and use that. However, whichever you choose, realize that they all come with learning involved.

Ubuntu is not an "OS" it is a distribution. They are based on snapshots in time of Debian Linux, another distribution, and other distributions are, in turn, built from Ubuntu. You may not get it, you may not like it, but that is just how it is. Chances are, there are people who have encountered the issues you have. And, as this is an open source OS and distribution, somebody may want to fix it for you out of their own kindness. Try to realize nobody owes you anything, not even a response or help.

Consider this a learning opportunity. Personally I would not use Ubuntu, but lots of people seem to like it. I never took a liking to it or the "debian" way of doing things and will remain a "SUSE guy"

Ubuntu is just another version of Debian, but still Debian.

The /etc/X11/xorg.conf file is in the directory /etc/X11/, just try to open it with nano:

nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

this should show you the contents of your xorg.conf file.

I don't know where exactly your coming from to assume that I think you guys HAVE to help me or owe it to me, don't make that assumption toward someone you don't know.. I chose to start using Ubuntu on my own free will just as I chose to start programming on my own, however after 14 years of Windows experience I can't simply dive into any flavor of Unix without first understanding how to install simple drivers.

I am sure the information you guys give me on this thread is very correct and helpful to someone who already has a basic idea of what tod o with the knowledge but I have never installed drivers on anything other than windows. I can only take the information you give me and attempt to apply it based on what I already know... which isn't much.

---------- Post updated at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:03 PM ----------

Thank you very much for your help and patience. I finally figured it out after giving my 'Fundamentals of Unix" professor a call and he kind of understood where you were coming from.

=)

so has the issue been solved? what did you do to solve it?
remember that like you are a newbie, and to be honest so am I, others may find the solution you used to be useful as well (if you did resolve it, that is).

When somebody comes and says "Why do I have to do this" after they were given an answer, it is not an uncommon thing to wonder why they are asking after getting the answer. It sounds like whining and if thats not how you meant it, realize that it can come across that way.

If you are going to start using another OS, it is going to take growing pains and also is imperative to know a little about it.