Ubuntu 10.04 - Unable to connect to Cisco VPN

Hi all,

I am trying to configure and connect Cisco VPN on Ubuntu 10.04.

I've imported .pcf file. The new vpn conn appears in the VPN Connections option. Now when I select it, it doesn't connect. Nothing happens.

I am not able to connect to VPN at all. I tried using kvpnc as well but it didn't work either.

Any suggestions on this will be helpful.

Best Regards.

---------- Post updated at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:16 AM ----------

Update:
I just reboot the box and now I am receiving this message when trying to connect to VPN:

The VPN connection 'VPN' failed.

I had the same problem, if I remember correctly, you have to check the "available to all users" box somewhere in the connection properties window (or during the connection setup).

Thanks. I have already checked this option. I observed that unless I check it, the new VPN conn name does not appear in the VPN Connections.

I select it but it gives 'The VPN connection 'VPN' failed'.?

Did you try to remove the connection and run the setup again?
Just check available to all users during the setup.

yea, I did that.. run over the whole process many times. no change in status though.

I cross-checked with my colleague as well, the settings are exactly the same. So a bad pcf file is ruled out..

Are there any messages related to the failed vpn connection in /var/log/messages?

cat /var/log/syslog | tail -20 shows this:

---------- Post updated at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:31 AM ----------

Update:

I managed to correct the configuration. Now when I click on the new VPN Connection that I created, I am greeted with a password box.

I have the soft token keys with me and I enter one of them in the pw box to get connected. Damn, it fails again!

cat /var/log/syslog | tail -15 shows this:

any ideas folks?

Google "10.04 VPN plugin failed: 1" and you'll get some results, some say that you need to uncheck "available to all users" ... :slight_smile:

Update:

VPN connection using Network Manager didn't work. I copied over a working vpnc cisco.conf file from a colleague and used cli to connect. Worked fine.

Thanks..

Yep,
now for me I doesn't work either (just installed the latest Ubuntu on my new notebook).

I found a workaround :slight_smile:

create vpn connection/import profile -> Available for All Users should be unchecked -> kill NetworkManager (it gets automatically restarted).

After that, when you try to connect, you'll see the password prompt.