trying to create a virtual database..

:cool: I like Vibhory2 like the idea of tapping into the kernel.. although not as indepth as he/she... i want to create a virtual databse of a few ma chines with connectivity and defiinte knowledge to create it.. I havebeen working on the project for a year now.. ! before unix (1 year exactly) i dwelled on the same question for six years using different appratus and windows. but to no avail.. now i seem be getting somewhere and quiet quick.. although I have thought about what it would take to create a virtual databse .. I would like to hear from an expert what a virtual database configuartion would consist of where the operating system is the core of the layout structure and the necessary tools to create such a \<Function\>... . mailnly the process of taking that step further than just a databse.

would like to hear ! thanx moxxx68
{ps.. I am learning C too.... like Vibhory2 the language of choice is C other than shell scripting... }:slight_smile:

So you want to make a database? Well, you can do it with A certain version of unix, but I might need to know your version you are using now. You can create one easily on freeBSD and as soon as you turn it on you will know how. You can download freeBSD By Clicking Here and that will take you to a site. Look for freeBSD on the screen and you will be able to see it. Download all the startup disks(I reccomend Sparc) and install.

Cheers,
    Computek:D :cool: :rolleyes: :\) ;\) :p

:slight_smile: actually I am more interested in the BSD software than I am in the linux software.. but I seem to be content with the fedora right now which I only installed a couple of weeks ago.. would like to take a look at it before eventually making the jump to BSD software. is there a book or site that will enhace what I have already managed to do over the last year creating filesystems, command structures, set scripts, and few other things that just got me started on the first level of trying to do this.. i need ideas.. ideas I can put to use and I don't know where to look even though I read like a madman...
thanx moxxx68....:confused: :smiley:

I don't know...The library.

Computek:p

LOL just joking...but really you'd find one at the library.:smiley:

:smiley: the library I go to is a college library and i have been through quite a few books including power tools.. I can't say I undersood everything but!! also the selection is limited.. what I need is either a university library where they impliment the full selection or someone who knows some good books I can order through the library..
thax moxxx68:D

OHHH>>>THE LIBRARY

:smiley: but trust me I have traveled back and forth from the libary plenty and plenty and plenty of times I have even kept a book or two.. and my father has a whole library of computer books ( but they are too advanced unfortunately).. I have had no schooling or any kind of help in learning unix everything I know I have learnt by myself through reading and trial and error. but when I visit the library the books that I have read are now too easy, the ones I want to read are too advanced and finding something in between that is concisely targeted at something that I am trying to understand is difficult since I don't know which books are good to begin with and I don't which authors would be more suitable for my level of unix background. searching the same books over and over either means dead end or that I am not catching something that I should be about reading up on unix.. so I come to a site like this to get advice.. predebaro i believe mentioned power tools the book, i have read it but at the time I can't say I understood everything.. ..
here's a good book for anyone !!!!! .Rute UsersTutorial and Exposition by Paul Sheer.. a little advanced but informative.. I have a copy on cd as well as text.. i could use a few more good books... if you or anyone knows a good book please share..
thanx moxx68:) :smiley: :cool:
ps .. I am sorry I was not so clear about what I meant.. maybe I will try to be more concise in what I ask next time..

Moxxx6,
You're question was not dumb at all. I gave you an answer. Try it if you like.:slight_smile:

Well, you should only download the sparc iso set if you are using a box that has Sparc architecture. Otherwise, you'll need Intel iso's or you'll be wasting your time.

Cheers
ZB

:smiley: appreciate the input guys..
thanx moxxx68;)

Zazzybob, I already reccomended Sparc to her.

:smiley: I appologise for the inclarity ... by virtual databse I meant an actual database layout that is structurally a component of unix and advanced enough to use to accomplish the task of daily routine input and output at a level of usage of an expert.. once it gets done! once it is done I will use it to function as a database that is specifically designed for my own use... (part 1)
i would like to know what would compositely determine a database from a basic structure considering the amount of possibilities that are uniformly possible to access using the operating system and the kernel and how to go about doing this.. forsinstnce using sparc (?) if i can down load it to my current software that would be ideal..
(part 2)
lastly what configures an actual database structure and what would be the most obvious stuctures to implement in a database from an experts point of view other than filesystems, scripts, programms, set pattern command line procedures etc etc.. what would microsft do??
(part 3)
i have thought through all the possibilities and I have a working database with several filesystem a few machines, programms (simple ones) many scripts.. how can I develope this further. what kind of infrastrucutre can I use to set a basic style if i was to rebuild the same databse on another computer..

to driver if this is not clear i apologize and i don't expect an answer.. other wise it has been somthing I have been thinking through for about six years.. although i only started to use unix this time last year.. before that I had never heard of unix or linux and never knew it would be possible to do what I have accomplished so far..
thanx for your input moxxx68

ps.. no pun or insult intended moxxx68 is a he..!
short for ( mouin 05/28/68):smiley:

Driver, You don't think that I know what she means. There is a tool for that on freeBSD Sparc and since you said you don't know what she means I think maybe you could let me tell her? Have you ever even used freeBSD???

K,keep your hard drive plugged in!!!
LOL...Just Joking

I did! It makes a database better than unix!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know what...The tool is called sp556.sdd and it creates databases. You wouldn't know what it is!:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :mad:

:cool: i am just trying to absorb it all.. ;;;
to computekw don't forget that I am realy a nubie to unix and do not understand all the answers that i am getting immediately. so if i seem a little slow to catch on I apologize for the inconvenience..
thanx for the input anyway and just for sake of agrument I keep all the replies that I get filed away.. so even if i were to misunderstand something forsinstance sparc related i can go back and look it up on or off line..
thanx for the input moxxx68:cool:

1) Search google for "sp556.sdd" and watch it return precisely "0" results.

2) I'm sure that if it does exist, Driver will certainly know what it is.

You really need to start curbing some of the nonsense chatter and keep the discussion technical. A lot of these posts are just creating noise within the knowledge base. Also, you should avoid insulting people -- "You wouldn't know what it is!" -- isn't going to do you any favours.

If you are trying to implement a database, you could always get the source code for MySQL or PostgreSQL and have a read through that.

Cheers
ZB

And one other point, If you are designing a database as a learning tool, great !!!!. However if you need a database Check out www.mysql.com It contains a totaly free and powerful database engine that will run on just about any platform. :slight_smile: