Topas - CPU count inconsistent across LPARs

seeing weirdness across some 7.1.5.1 LPARs - they all have 2 vCPUs allocated shared. With prtconf they show 2 CPUs, 'lsdev -c processor' concurs, and 'lsattr -El procX' shows that SMT is enabled and there are 2 SMT threads (power5, sorry). Yet running topas on them shows 2 CPUs on some and 4 on others. Wondering where it's getting its notion from of CPUs in the server, anyone know ?

TIA...

First question is: what does the HMC say about the profile? Could you post the profile (from lssyscfg -r lpar ... ) here? Particularily interesting would be if the systems are capped or uncapped.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

1 Like

thanks for looking.

turns out it was really dopey, it's about the size of the window that topas is running in. it apparently thinks 24 rows isn't enough to show more than 2 CPUs. stretch it to 48 and it shows all the CPUs, consistently across all the LPARs I tried.

Bad design ? They say the window is scrollable, so why display misleading data...

Curses, foiled again ! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

ROFLMAO

But i would have never guessed that one (and i never had that one either), thank you for sharing. We both have learned something new today.

bakunin

2 Likes