Tool for Convert XLS into CSV in UNIX

Hi

I wanted to convert some XLS files into CSV format in my UNIX box. Unix box is handling very important data which are related to data warehouse.It is fully optimized by installing minimum packages since server need more resources to handle reports generating.

Just for convert XLS files into CSV i supposed to use , JODConverter. But JODConverter runs based on OPenOffice.OpenOffice service needed to be started.

But in my Server , i can not install openoffice software .Is there any possibility to activate OpenOffice Service only?

or else can somebody recommend me to any other ways to do this?

I dont need a software to convert files. I need some thing possible to execute in command line because i wanted schedule the job via a cron job.

Thanks in Advance
Luke

What comes to mind are some Perl modules: The CPAN Search Site - search.cpan.org
The tools that you mention seem somewhat resource intensive and not suitable for command line use.
Hope this helps

xls2csv seems to be lightweight

Thanks for all your comments on XLS convert into CSV. Actually I couldnt find a way to do the same from perl. But luckily there is very nice java api for to handle excel files and convert into CSV .

Apache POI - the Java API for Microsoft Documents

Thanks
Luke

Just to clear the record, Perl does have modules for this in the BIFF-based .xls world...although the target does seem to move on a regular basis and one could actually squeak by using XML-based modules on the more recent versions of Excel too: Cultured Perl: Reading and writing Excel files with Perl

However, thanks for the feedback on your own Java-based direction. Looks like it would work for you.

Thanks all for sharing. CSV to XLS and vice versa are common operations.

You might want to give following a chance: xls2csv - search.cpan.org

binlib has most likely also meant this script when he mentioned xls2csv.