Timezone issues -- Daylight savings

Hello,

I like to set the CDT timezone, but it shows CST still even after I activated the DayLight Time

cat /etc/environment | grep TZ
TZ=CST6CDT

Now looking at date:

root@test8:/>date
Tue Dec 20 05:34:45 CST 2016

How can I make it from CST to CDT ?

thanks

a little bit waiting (till summer 2017) would help, I think :wink:

Daylight saving time - Wikipedia

2 Likes

thanks agent.kgb,

but i need to change it to CDT for some testing with oracle EM, any help will be appreciated

You would need to change the date of the server for this to be effective. Setting the system clock to April 2017 would do the trick, but that might have unwanted impact. Additionally you would need to check if an NTP sync is run at any point (usually boot, but potentially elsewhere) as that could set the system clock back the real time (let's not get into the philosophical debate about whether time is real though ;))

Would this help? If not, can you explain why this would be a problem?

Kind regards,
Robin

1 Like

There is a difference in timezone setting in AIX 5.3 vs AIX 6.1

For AIX 5.3, if you are using timezone with daylight savings then you would need to enable it, and also you need to apply the apar for it

AIX 6.1 takes the daylight timings automatically, when the date comes for time backward/forward, it does it automatically, see zdump
so there is no setting to turn on or turn off the DST in AIX 6.1 and higher.

Question:
CST6CDT (POSIX) and America/Chicago (Olson)

I have read both are same timezones, so what difference does it make ?

Counter question: what is the difference between "17 (octal)" and "15 (decimal)" and "F (hex)"?

POSIX and Olson are two ways of describing a timezone. Olson does so by using a list of definitions and specifiyng a certain entry in that list. POSIX achieves the same in a slightly different way (see the Open Groups website for details).

Every timezone definition contains the following information:

1) an offset to GMT (or UTC, which is basically the same)
2) an amount of time (in hours) to correct this basic offset during the daylight savings period
3) a starting- and ending date (and time) for this DST period

In this regard, Olson and POSIX do the same. Olson just has a directory of such definitions, so that i.e. "Europe/Vienna" means GMT-1, a daylight savings adjustment of 1 hour and a DST period from the third(?) Sunday of March, 2:00 am until last Sunday in October, 3:00 am. When you specify "Europe/Vienna" then the driver looks this information up in the directory and sets the time accordingly. If you specify the TZ specification manually (the POSIX way) it uses that.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

1 Like