timeout problem

Hi

can anyone help with the following:-

when sending large e-mails via a ssh session the job always times out every 5 min before the mail is sent, this means that a user has to tap a key to stop it timming out. Is there a way to stop this from happening.

Numpty

Well, since no one else has responded...

What exactly do you mean -

?

1 - what is the timeout period - does it take 5 minutes, 10, ...? If you let a ssh session sit for that long doing nothing (just at the prompt) does it also timeout?

1. Are you running some type of kill user program that looks for processes not doing anything? (It may be killing off your email process by mistake)

2. What is so different about these sessions versus 'smaller' emails? Do you know what the size of these emails are that are getting killed? What size will go successfully? Are these emails going to local servers, remote, remote-out-of-your-control?

What OS and version? What email are you using?

Just from your writing that a person would have to sit there and hit a key, it seems like it's a program looking for input from the user or it kills the session. That should point you to look at how ssh is set up (or that particular server).

hello
I searched the forum and looks like I couldn't find an answer.

I am connecting the school machines, which run SunOS 5.8, from my home computer which runs linux Fedora III, with ssh. When I stay about 10 - 15 minutes idle connection times out. But this never happens when I directly connect at school. Apparently the server disconnects the external clients after a certain time. Is there a way that I can change on my computer settings so that the school machines won't time me out?

I searched the env variables for TMOUT but there wasn't any. So I edited my .profile (my shell is bash) and added the variable. But since the server is timing out this didn't help.

this is the message I am getting on my unix command prompt :

/user/s2/username > Read from remote host [hostname]: Connection reset by peer
Connection to [hostname] closed.

Any help will be appreciated...

OK, so does this mean that no one have any answer to my question?

If the server you are connecting to is running a program to kill off idle users, then your only option is not to be idle. There isn't a parameter to set on your side to change that.

You might also want to read the Rules - # 4 would be appropriate.