Thunar Crashes running XFCE 4.10 on Sparc64 , OpenBSD 5.3

I use XFCE 4.10 on OpenBSD 5.3; The use of Thunar produces a core dump, if I am logged in as a user, but if I log in as root, it works fine. Obviously it is a permissions issue, but what permission on what file?

It's very strange for a permissions issue to cause a core dump. Not impossible, but a program would need to be pretty badly designed if it crashed rather than just spewing 'permission denied opening such file' and quitting.

I'd suggest loading these core dumps in a debugger and seeing the backtrace.

1 Like

Thunar works when I run the amd64 version of OpenBSD with xfce, but when I run my Sparc box, an old Blade 100, then Thunar no longer works properly. It's probably an OpenBSD issue, guess I will live with it, by not clicking on it! Or go FreeBSD, which on Sparc is all text based, cause xorg is not installed by default and the compiling from ports takes too many days on the old machine, and nothing is gained by it.

Wait, is this a different problem or the same one?

The problem seems to be in the /usr/local/bin/thunar-settings config file. If I delete this file, then thunar will work for me when I use xfce, BUT, still crashes occasionally. The interesting fact is that if I do not remove the settings file, but instead access thunar inside another DE such as fvwm2, then thunar works fine!!! Obviously this is an xfce issue, not a thunar issue. My system in this case is a Sun Blade 100, with OpenBSD 5.3;

Besides this bug with thunar, the system works as advertised.