terminal/port (serial) lock up mystery! SCO 5.0

Sorta new to Unix. great site here.

I have SCO server with (5) 16 port Digi-boards and 5 line printers. For 3 years we've had no problems, till now... All of a sudden I get terminals and printers locking up. Killed the PID's for these particular situations. No help. So I disable the tty post adn re-enable it. No deal. Seems the only way to get the post back online is to re-boot.
Where should I be looking to figure out what the problem is?

Thanks in advance!:wink:

Anyone?:confused:

I am having the same problem.....No idea what is going on here. I am getting an error msg in the /var/adm/messages file that looks like the following:

Wed Apr 10 18:49:04 2002
calling xxfail 4227
***WARNING*** PCI C/X at port 00000000 failure

Is this similar to your problem as well?

Thanks
Pat

Exactly! The very same message. Even called in a Compaq Tech and he hooked up all kinda "heart" monitors and what not. He said he cant seem to find anything definate. But gave me some ideas.

Apparently, that is the same location that the memory is located at and maybe the memory is going bad or they are have a little civil war inside the machine over who gets the interupt request to the processor!!:smiley:

hmmmmm....Insightful.....I've actually been in contact with the vendor that originally set up the system here for us, and one of the things that was suggested was to make sure that there were no cables hooked to any of the c-con's that didn't have anything on the other end of them. Apparently, the cables can function as antennae(?) or cause a problem where the c-con believes there are devices connected, but there are not.....Hope this helps! Please let me know if you find any kind of resolve, as you would be my personal hero! :rolleyes:

Running C/CON's TOO? Damn this is too wierd.

I haven't thought of that. I may go in and verify all the labels are correct adn try dis-connecting the un-used ones. It sounds fee-able anyway.:wink:

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....doesn't seem like this solved the problem whatsoever. . . Furthermore, the problem is getting worse and worse......by any chance, do you use an applivation called imager created by Smyth systems on the box that you're having problems with? Just curious....

Pat:confused:

Nope. We have a Compaq Proliant 3000 with 5 C/CON 16 porst Digi Boards. We ran a compaq system health monitor and it shows that one of our Cons was bad. So I moved it to the bottom of the rack and shuffled all the users up. Also, it looks like the memory, the NIC and the digi board drivers all share this same IRQ for some reason. We also, found that Compaq recommends having the memory arranged in a certain order. So we re-seated the mem in the recommended spots. And thus far we haven't had a problem. Its been a little over a week now and no lock ups. :smiley:

You may want to try re-seating your memory, adn re-installing the driver software for the CONS and see what that does. :wink:

Thank you SOOOOO much! I'll try that and let you know how it goes.

Pat

:mad: :mad: :mad: Seems like we are still having the same problem after trying the solution that seemed to solve yours.....any other suggestions? Are you still having any sort of failures?

Thanks!

Pat

Have you tried to replace the digi card in the server?
it also could be the card itself that is running amuck in your server give this a try

:wink: