Terminal windows getting killed

Hi!!,
I am on HP UX- 11. We have just configured a new server. But facing a strange problem now. Occasionally our terminal windows get killed. any ideas about the cause??

Could someone tell me what to look for?? any particular logs?? or is it bcoz of too many processes ( ~ 70 -80 ) being run by the same user??

Thanks in advance...
:confused:

I also have HPUX 11.x.

If you haven't looked in cron, I suggest you look for a kill script. I have one on my systems to keep users from sitting idle for hours.

You can look in /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log to see what is happening. Also, look at cron's log in /var/adm/cron/log. It keeps track of all cron executions.

You should have a cstm tool on your box. Just type cstm at the prompt and it will take you into it. cstm is a diagnostic tool and much more. You or HP can use it to check error logs for hardware and software alike.

Also, check for executable files that are suspicious, just in case of mischief.

Hope this helps you...

:wink: :slight_smile:

Can u pls tell me wht to do if the same occurs in Sun Solrais?

jyotipg,

Just another thought. You may also want to check the network activity to your box or your lan cards, I have had problems with intermittent lan cards going down and restoring. Although my problems were with FDDI cards.

Deepa,

You might send 98_LE an email. He is a Sun SA. There is also a Sun forum. Search this site for "sun forum" and see what you get.
That site should be able to answer your question.

:wink:

I have/had a simular problem with a Digiboard driver on SCO locking up with no logged info until you rebooted. Then it said failure at port (x). So I reseated the memory as it is stored on the same address block for some reason (COMPAQ!!:mad: ), and this stopped it for almost a month. Then 3 days ago it started back but it was at 10:30 Monday morning, then 9:30 Tuesday, and 8:30 yesterday. (Those times are rounded off ball park figures by the way).

Anyhow, I replaced the Multi-serial interface card today. We'll see if that does the trick.

Hope some of this helped in your search for the cure.