telnet problem

hi all,

i have a problem in telnet.when i am using telnet to my new aix server it takes about 5min to open.
can any one tell what i have to do.????

Sounds like your Server is very busy or something with DNS might be screwed, so:

• Have a "vmstat 1 20" running and check if your server is very busy. Check for all CPU and PI/PO columns mainly.
  • Ping the server from where you are trying to telnet to it and check if the milliseconds are very high.
  • Try to ping it by hostname, FQDN and by IP-adress, to see if there is any difference.
  • Try to telnet to a different server from where you originally tried it; try it from another workstation maybe.
  • Compare the time while trying to login via ftp or ssh.

GL!
Zaxxon

thanks for your response.

my problem gets resolved after removing /etc/resolv.conf file....

Maybe it is better to update it with the correct info instead of deleting it?

Dependant on how your system is setup the resolv.conf file holds the information on the DNS name servers. If you have a DNS system in the organisation this should be entered in the resolv.conf file.

If resolv.conf is not needed, because the server needs no name/ip resolution, it might be more elegant to just keep the file blank instead of deleting it. That's what I wanted to say :wink:
An option would have been to put in the correct DNS server IP and maybe a "search my.domain.org" or whatever is used instead of relaying on being in the same network or on /etc/hosts.