Telnet Problem with Solaris (SunOS 5.7)

Hi,

I have been facing a telnet problem with our SunOS 5.7 box. Initially we were facing porblems in login both from the console as well as through telnet. The machine was hard-booted after which login from console is possible, but telnet connection is not.

The error that is displayed is "ld.so.1:login:fatal:libc.so.1:open failed:Too many files open".

Other services like FTP, Web etc. are working fine.

I'm looking forward to some quick responses to this porblem as our schedule is really held up by this problem.

Responses can be directed to manoj_gopal@satyam.com also.

Thanks,
Manoj Gopal

You can increase the file descripter limit. See the Solaris FAQ, Q3.45: http://www.science.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2.html\#q3.45

However, you should investigate why you have so many files open, as this is not normal. Is this machine connected to the internet? A google search on your error message indicated that it may be the result of a root-kit installed on the system (i.e. your system may be compromised). If you are not connected to the internet you may not be compromised... try to investigate what is causing the system to chew through file handles so quickly.