Telnet connection to Sco Unixware from Windows 2000 taking longer !!!

Telnet connection to SCO Unixware server taking longer to
return the Login prompt !!!

Thanx in advance for any suggestions or help in this regard .

Cheers
KBiswas

Hi,

do you have this behaviour only on SCO Unixware ? Do you have any logs about it ?

Check your network !

Regards
Malcom

There are two Sco Unixware servers and five Sun Solaris ones on that particular network .The problem is with the SCO ones and two of the SUN servesr .

I have done tracert <IP Address of the SCO Server> from the source , i.e. Windoes 2000 and the hop is within 10 - 20 ms and the Network administrator say's OK .

Which logs do I need to investigate now !!!

Thanx for help .

Cheers

Hi,

check the default syslogs if you see some strange messages of the telnet deamon.

Try telnet to localhost on the systems, to see if it only happens remotly, try a different system instead your win box to check if the problem is caused by this box.

We had a similar problem, the problem was a misconfiguration in our static arp config.

Regards
malcom

Hi

It was really nice to hear from you .

There is no entries in syslog in /var/adm directory and the size is zero bytes .

When trying telnet from local system , it is OK .

When trying from other than Windows box , it is still taking longer .

It was working all fine but for the last two days ........ does telnet
reads some log files during startup which might increased in size now ..... I doubt that !!!!

Cheers

On the sco box or one of the sun boxes that exhibit slowness, try to look up the ip address of the W2K box.

nslookup 1.2.3.4

or whatever. You want a quick response of
w2k.whatever.com
or whatever you use.

telnetd does this operation to find the hostname of the originating connection. If this doesn't work quickly, you have a dns problem.

Thanx Perderabo . Nice to hear from you .

I think something is wrong with the DNS configuration .
When I added the IP of the source (Win 2k workstation) in the
/etc/inet/hosts of the Sun Server , the telnet problem got
resolved. Then we added the entry of this Sun Server in our
DNS server .

But still, the telnet problem persists for all other sources except
this Win 2k whose entry is there in the hosts file of the Sun server .

I need to access this server from anywhere and
will surely not req to add the IP of all the workstations in the server !!!

I am sure we are very close to the resolution and definate
to be there soon !!

Thanx for any help hereafter .

If you persist in using /etc/inet/hosts, that is exactly what you're going to need to do. In the 80's we used to download a hosts file from the NIC. It had an entry for every internet connected host and it was huge. This is why DNS was invented.

You should be adding each host and ip address to a dns server. Then you should be using dns to find them.

I can't tell if you're not using dns at all, or if you're putting in the forward entry but leaving the reverse entry out. But for the second time I will say that you to be sure that you can use the nslookup command on the IP address:
nslookup 1.2.3.4
or whatever your IP address is.

Hi

My DNS server IP is 100.800.900.100 and the Domain is xyz .

My Sun Servers IP is 100.800.900.101 and the name is abc .

I have configured the DNS server in Sun m/c as 100.800.900.100 .

Xcuted the following :

#nslookup - Server : xyz . Address : 100.800.900.100 .

#nslookup 100.800.900.101 and it identified 100.800.900.100 and return the name as abc .

#nslookup abc and it identified 100.800.900.100 and return the IP as name as 100.800.900.101 .

#nslookup <IP win 2K workstation> and it identified 100.800.900.100 but gives �xyz cannot find < IP win 2K workstation> . Server failed .

When I executed ipconfig /all in win 2K workstation , the DNS server showed
as 100.800.900.100 .

Telnet still slower !!!

Cheers

You need a recognized top level domain. You can't have xyz. It's need to be xyz.com or something. And then it needs to be registered with the .com servers.

That nslookup where you get "server failed" is doing exactly what telnetd is doing. That is what you need to get working.