telnet & ftp in linux AS4 with root account

hi,
i installed linux as4, i need telnet and ftp with root account. anybody show me how to configure.

TIA,

Bong

you need install ftp software.
you need open 21 and 23 port..

U should not configure telnet and ftp for root account as it is not good for security & by default RedHat will not allow you to do the same things, ya if you want to use telnet for root account you will need to edit /etc/securtty file. But best way is to use ssh for remote administration tasks as it will also allows you to log in as root and is much more secured then telnet.

Regards

Harinder Singh

Hi,

As in the previous reply, we should not use FTP and TELNET as they are not that much secure rather you can use SSH that will allow you to log in to the machine and will also let you have the functionality of FTP with the implementation of SFTP which is already there into it.

Regarding that, you can try and use the steps given below ---

1) You can have TCP Wrappers for which you need to edit the /etc/hosts.allow file and append the IPs to which you want to give access. The format should be ---

<service> : <IP Address> : <allow/deny>

2) First make sure that the service SSH is running or not by using the command ---

# service sshd status

and if it is running then stop it.

3) Edit the file /etc/ssh/sshd_config

Change the parameters given below --

Port 22
Protocol 2,1
ListenAddress <IP Address>:22

PermitRootLogin yes

[This line controls the access to login to the machine as root. If you set "no" over here, then the root user will not be able to log in to the machine using SSH.]

NOTE : If you want to allow selected groups or users only, then under Authentication clause you should have the following and remember the groupnames or usernames should be separated by just a white space ---

AllowGroups <groupname....(s)>
e.g. AllowGroups sysadm wheel

AllowUsers localadmin sysadm
e.g. AllowUsers <username....(s)>

4) After editing the file, start the service by using the command --

# service sshd start

Now you should be able to use the SSH for both the purpose. Regarding sftp, you can get enough help from the man page itself.

If you need further help, do let me know.....

Cheers...

ATUL