TCP/IP troubleshooting

Hello all,

Can somebody please tell what is the best book out there that can help me learn TCP troubleshooting and understaning the TCP options like window scaling, large receive offload? I would like to understand how all the TCP tuning parameters function. Is there a book out there that can help me with that? Also, a book that can help me analyze better the TCP segments captured in a wireshark trace.

Thanks,

There is a fantastic book about TCP/IP, which really covers everything up to a reference implementation of a TCP/IP-stack:

W. Richard Stevens: TCP/IP Illustrated (3 volumes)

I can wholeheartedly recommend this book.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

This is Operating-System specific. Please post what Operating System and version you are using and mention whether this is on a Router, a Workstation, a Server or whatever?

In this context the best sort of book is usually the training material supplied on a comms training course plus your own notes ... backed with practical experience.

For the concepts I still use the Cisco CCNA Certification Guide as a useful reference. This does not cover unix/Linux kernel parameter tuning or using a unix/Linux computer for network diagnostics (which is what I think you are looking for).

Ps: (Quick search of bookshelf ...).
I have the book recommended by @bakunin, and it is a very good book on the TCP/IP protocol and I used it (along with the manufacturers manuals) when migrating a large site to TCP/IP from another communications protocol.

Thanks to Bakunin for providing that book. I appreciate it.

To Methyl:

I am using the tcp/ip stack on a linux server running http.

Thanks