tcp/ip network

Hi,

Can someone tell me how to set up a basic tcp/ip network on unix, so windows computers can ping it?

Thnx,

Edwin

thats different in each derivate .. so pls. specify which UNIX and the current version e.g. SuseLinux 7.2, HPUX 11.00, ...

If you are using Linux visit linuxdoc.org

Hi,

I am using SunOs 5.7, unix release 4.00

in order to set up a tcp/ip environment you must configure your system files to allow trafic with other networks or machines through. (DNS)
first you should configure your interface:
use the "ifconfig -a" to see your settings, then use the same command to configure...if this is a new interface you must use the "plumb" option to assign interface drivers to your card.

# ifconfig hme0 plumb
| | |
(command) (Card) (turned on)

you must bring your card down before configuration.

# ifconfig hme0 down

then you must configure your card to the IP and netmask that you want. and bring it UP

# ifconfig hme0 xx.xx.xx.xx netmask 255.x.x.x broadcast + up
use ifconfig -a to confirm changes.
In order to connect a host to the network this info. is also needed:
HOST NAME
DOMAIN NAME
IP ADDRESS
NETMASK(if needed)
DNS server name

*the file that holds information about your hostname and your loop back(127.0.0.1) /etc/hosts
*the file that solaris uses to configure system at boot time is
/etc/hostname.le0
*the file that contains the name of the host is /etc/nodename
*/etc/services hold the ports and network rules (don't touch this file)

• /etc/netmasks holds your netmask address if your host is on a segment.
    There are so many more steps involved in setting up DNS and networking...but those are a few preliminary steps
    :cool:

If you don't mind resetting your existing network settings, you can use /usr/sbin/sys-unconfig to start from scratch and have Solaris itself walk you through a re-configuration upon reboot.

R u configuring through router or directly to network??

If through router,
u have to give

Eg:
Gateway 139.9.78.75

/usr/sbin/sys-unconfig wil force a reboot. You will be prompted for new network settings upon restart.

I keeping plumbing my ethernet card and assigning it an IP address and netmask, but after I reboot it keeps losing this information. Can anyone help me solve this problem?
I am using the command:
ifconfig hme0 plumb <IP Address> netmask <Subnet Mask> broadcast + up

Saucierm,

It would be better to start a new thread instead of posting to this one - only so it doesn't get confusing for the folks trying to help out. What OS are you running?

Thanks, I'm new at this. I went ahead and started a new thread.
By the way, I am running Solaris 9.