tcp_ephemeral_high issue with AIX 5.2

Hello,
I have AIX5.2. I am trying to set tcp_ephemeral_high port value to 5000 and tcp_ephemeral_low value to 1024. tcp_ephemeral_high is not possible to set below 32769.

pls advise how to set tcp_ephemeral_high value to 5000.

Not possible if not in range. From the manpage of no:

tcp_ephemeral_high
              Purpose:
                   Specifies the largest port number to allocate for TCP
                   ephemeral ports.

Values:
                     *    Default: 65535
                     *    Range: 32769 to 65535
                     *    Type: Dynamic

Is there any other possibility to override TCP settings so that we can set lower port for tcp_ephemeral_high ??

I am not aware of such a possibility and from my experiences with IBM AIX I doubt it. The only possibility I can think of would be an official patch by IBM. In case you have IBM support open a PMR and ask them to extend the range.

I'm not sure what your intention is here: do you want to limit access to the machine? If so, you mit want to give the ipsec package a try. It might be suited to what you want to achieve.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

I am using PASV Ftp. So, in my server machine, i have to restrict the port range from 1024 to 5000. but tcp_ephemeral_high not allows lessthan 32768.

I don't think so. You might want to read this document to understand passive FTP. This also explains why it is necessary to have a ftpd which allows to configure port ranges. The document mentions wu-ftpd as an example.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

edit by bakunin: We do not like spammed advertisements - not even spammed job advertisements. Contact the Boardadmin Neo for information about legal advertisement opportunities here.