Tar/Tapes: Can somebody explain this to me......

Hey Folks,

Can somebody please explain what the crack is with this problem.

I have a backup folder in /var which contains 4 rsync'd server folders:

server08
server15
server16
server18

They all contain the etc folder from the server, and other important data I need to backup.

To send them to tape I have been using: (cd'ing to /var first)

tar -cv -b 16384 -f /dev/nst0 backup/ > /var/log/backup/tapebackup/BACKUP_`date +%Y%m%d`.log 2> /var/log/backup/tapebackup/BACKUP_`date +%Y%m%d`.log

Now, according to my logs, the backup went fine and everything went to plan.

However, If I do a

tar -t -b 16384 -f /dev/nst0

To list the contents of the tape, it firstly says

tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers

And then it goes on to list the contents of the tape. However, it does NOT list the server15 folder and all its contents, and misses out some of server16

Now according to my backup logs, they backed up in the following order:

server15
server16
server18
server08

And when I list the contents I get:

Half of server16
server18
server08

And no server15. How come? Its driving me nuts! Does anybody know what I am doing wrong? Why are they backing up in that order? And whats happened to my server15!?!?

Thanks for any help!

P.S. This has been driving me nuts for weeks now. If I cant get it working I will have to give up on using tar and try using cpio. However cpio scares the hell out of me, and if anyone could give me a quick run down on how I would put together a cpio command for the above I would be forever grateful

What version of unix? On my version of unix -b 16384 requests a block size of 8,388,608 bytes. Maybe you mean -b 32 which would request a block size of 16,384?

In any event, I would tone down the block size and see where that leaves me.

Thanks for help

I'm new to all this! I'm just erasing the tapes now and i'll give it a go using a blocksize of 32 instead of 16384 and I'll let you know!