Tape Drive (/dev/rct0) donot work sometimes

Hi all,

I  am  facing problem  with my  Tape drive \(hp\) \(/dev/rct0\) on SCO  Unix version 6.0.0. Sometimes  tar works  fine but  some times  it  doesnot work and  I  have  to restart the  server to  get  it work. One  reboot/shutdown  is  OK. to  solve  the  problem. Error is "cannot  open  /dev/rct0" though the  tape  is  recognised \(ls  /dev/rct0  is  there\). Same  tape drive is  Ok at  one  time  and  other time this  problem is there.  

Powering ON/OFF tape device  is  of no  help
 This  is not  the  issue  of  tapes

Only rebooting the box fixes the problem.

I am not getting what exactly is the problem.

Help is appreciated,

regards,

Dexter

My thinking is that this is NOT a software issue. This sounds like a subtle hardware issue.

I assume this tape drive is a SCSI device.

Try shutting down and unplugging/replugging the SCSI cable, perhaps also take out and reseat the SCSI adapter itself. Also, check the SCSI terminations.

Also, replug the power supply to the tape drive.

Has this problem suddenly occured after working fine for some time?

My experience was 4.2 and 5.0 with tape drives and your symptoms are of a tape drive going bad. At some point before you needed it to work it lost ready and can only get it back on a reboot.

Yes, I agree but, adding to my previous post, the reboot gets the SCSI adapter to issue a SCSI reset to the tape drive and it appears that this is enough to make it work. Therefore, SCSI communication is most likely the issue hence my comment about re-seating the cables, etc.

Hicksd8 and edfair,

Thanks  for  your  valuable points. Will try  these and respond.

regards,

Dexter

\#[2](http://www.unix.com/302602696-post2.html)   [![](upload://83qLnrrJrSJa55j5uEe9EpNTwmS.gif)](http://www.unix.com/report.php?p=302602696)   

2 Days Ago
hicksd8
2 Days Ago
hicksd8

You didn't answer my question as to whether this has ever worked or simply stopped working. Also what type of tape drive it is.

Another thought is that, if it is a DAT drive, these usually have a 8 pole DIP switch underneath which if set incorrectly (for this hardware and O/S) might cause this type of behaviour.

Hi Hicksd8,

<You didn't answer my question as to whether this has ever worked or simply stopped working.>

As  I said , this works  fine  sometimes and  sometimes  it  don't work  and  shows "cannot  open /dev/rct0" \(tape  OK.\) .This  is  not  the  new  tape  drive  we are  using, it has  been  here working fine , without  this  fault,  from last  3  yrs.

Yes it is a DAT drive (HP storage works DAT 40).

regards,

Dexter

In that case I stick by my original post. Probably a SCSI communication error. Replug all the cables.

I support SCO boxes for a living and have found in most cases that it is a break in the SCSI communication. if you run tape status it will return an error unless there is a tape currently unloading or loading. No other commands such as tape status or tape rewind/unload,. etc wil work. I find I can usually clean the dust bunnies out and reseat the cable andcard which will fix the issue for quite awhile. Eventually thou you will need another tape drive. I have rarely found a bad SCSI card...

Hello buddies,

Thanks  for  sharing your  experiences. I  cleaned off the  cable  and  connectors ,  and reassembled  them. Then a tape reset, rewind  command and  the  problem  is almost gone. 

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers

Dexter