T6340/SDS root disk pull test.

Here's the scenario..

Server built with solaris 10 + SDS to mirror OS disk to 2nd disk.

If you pull the root disk while the system is running, would you expect :

1, The box to just stay running, ie off its mirror
2, The box would crash, reboot, try and boot of its primary, if not, the secondary (taking into account you have the 2nd drive setup in devalias etc)

Many thanks
John

if the mirror is configured properly the machine "should" run in case of a failure of the primary disk. pulling a disk is not a thing that occurs in normal operations so this isn't a good test!
but with SAS disks i'll think the server should stay online... but no guarantee for that!

Thanks for you speedy reply :slight_smile:

I realise its not a good test, I did try and tell them that, but nevertheless it was performed!

All the blades rebooted with the test, some came up on their primary, some corrupted both their disks and didnt come up.

I just wanted to confirm if it was expected or actually proven/known that they should of stayed running on their secondary drives WITHOUT rebooting.

this sounds like bad configured sds mirrors... use a explorer of all installations and check for diff in the setup...

svm detecting a failing/failed disk is different of the type of h/w radi you're talking about, eg pulling out one disk. Its not recommended to do so, though you can try.
depends on your h/w, bug fixes etc, whether your system would continue to run or not.. hard to say, but therotically it should work