T2000 RAID Question

New to the boards here so please bear with me!

I have a T2000 server with Solaris 10 installed on it. Disk 0 is the only disk currently being used, as I do NOT have a RAID set up. Disk 1 is just sitting there looking pretty.

I'd like to set up a mirrored RAID in order to fully utilize both of my disks. However, I do NOT want to lose all the data that I already have on Disk 0 and I don't want to reinstall Solaris.

So I guess my question is this : Is there an easy way to setup this hardware RAID after Solaris has already been installed ?? I just want all the data on Disk 0 synced up with Disk 1, without losing everything I have on Disk 0.

Hope that makes sense!
Thanks!!

if you setup the hardware raid, you'll lose the data. there are 2 ways to solve your problem.

1. do a backup of your system; build the raid; restore the backup
  2. setup a software raid using slvm

doing a raidctl -c disk1 disk2 , will wipe out your data. Only 2 ways as duke informed.

I'm pretty sure the RAID chip on the T2000 is an LSI 1064-based SAS controller.

Go to LSI's web site and find the "lsiutil" utility for Solaris SPARC. You should be able to use that to set up a RAID-1 mirror without having to do a reinstall or lose any data.

But I'd have everything backed up anyway.

A working LSI raid utility would be great. If someone has a link please provide it. In my experience I've had to create T2000 RAIDs from the OK prompt and the process does destroy all data plus it changes the drive size so each drive must be re-labeled after the procedure. It's been over a year since I've had to do that so newer releases might not be so crappy.

LSI support link:

LSI7204XP-LC : Fibre Channel HBAs : Host Bus Adapters : Products : Storage : LSI

The link for "LSI Util" is at the bottom, under "Miscellaneous". It's a pretty simple command-line program, but it's also pretty powerful and given some of the commands you can run I'd bet it's more than capable of bricking your RAID controller.

FWIW, I tried it on an LSI 3041X that I have installed in a Supermicro box, and I can find any option that allows me to create a RAID mirror in a non-destructive manner. Yet, I know i've done that many times on LSI RAID controllers.