System recovery

Hi everyone

I'm green AIX user or rather beginner (light green).
Unfortunately I have to restore my system + data from scratch (things happen) and make it up and running. I've never done it before.
Can someone of you provide me with link/procedure/instruction how to do it?
Now I know only: install tape with mksysb and reboot your server.
I know this is not as easy but this or that way I have to do it no matter what and how long that's can take.

I run AIX 5.2

Thanks for any help.:smiley:

It depends somewhat on the hardware you use:

You have to include the tape drive (more precisely: the tape drive device) into the boot list. You can do that ad-hoc in the boot menu or using the diag CD and booting from it. You can find a detailed description for your machine at the IBM site, even for older machines. Search for "Technical Overview" or "whitepaper" and the model number of your machine.

Once the tape drive is inthe boot list simply insert the mksysb tape into the drive and power on - the tape has a boot image and will restore the rootvg automatically. There are a few screens to answer, but they are pretty intuitive and straigtforward.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Fraydey,

I would first check this website for AIX. They will have all the resources you will need on AIX.

IBM Redbooks

Cheers

Thanks a lot for your help

For recovery I have this same tape device (type and model) and faster/more powerfull RS6000. I want to save time and try to load the system from mksysb backup I hope that's will be possible, I don't know exac configuration yet.