System Programming

Hi all,

I am working on a c program (in a unix environment) making system calls. My program makes references to POSIX, _POSIX_SOURCE 1. When trying to compile the c program, I received a message "Language optional software package not installed."

I am not sure if this message refers to POSIX. Does anyone have any ideas? If this message does refer to some POSIX files that my machine does not have, please tell me that they are so I can install them.

Great many thanks,

Rachael

I also have this problem in my school which running Digital UNIX. But this problem can be solved by using cc instead of using gcc.

haha, the funny thing is i was using cc, i do not at all have gcc on my machine and am about to download it to give it a try.

Just for curiosity, what did you do to fit it?

Rachael

Not all system come with a c compiler. Instead it's a seperate product that you need to buy. If you have not installed the option c compiler product, you may have a script that issues this message.

Sun does that. cc is a script that invokes the real c compiler if it exists. Otherwise you get that message. Are you on a sun? If so, cc is script that you can look at.

Your options would then probably be: 1) buy a compiler; 2) get gcc for free.