System hangs (freezes) on system bell/beep

I am running OpenIndiana development version oi_148 32-bit on a seven-year-old Dell Inspiron 8600.

Seems to be running fine except for one particular annoyance: It freezes whenever a system bell/beep plays.

I have mitigated this by turning the system bell off in gnome-terminal, which I use regularly. But occasionally I trip a system bell by backspacing on the gdm login. Followed by an unending beep and system freeze. :wall:

xset -b manages to disable the beep and I haven't been able to trip it again in the OS (yet), but how do I a) make the change permanent and b) disable the bell before I get to the gdm login.

There is no obvious way to disable the bell in my BIOS and I couldn't find the topic mentioned in Solaris or OpenIndiana sites.

I am lost in finding or editing an xorg.conf file (I am from a Linux background). Xorg --configure does not work. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Long shot. What is the output from:

stty -a

Just check to see if "^G" (bell) is mapped to anything in error.

output of stty -a

speed 38400 baud; rows 59; columns 207;
intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^?; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = M-^?; eol2 = M-^?; swtch = <undef>; start = ^Q; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; dsusp = ^Y; rprnt = ^R; werase = ^W; lnext = ^V; flush = ^O;
-parenb -parodd cs8 hupcl -cstopb cread -clocal -crtscts
-ignbrk brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl ixon -ixoff -iuclc ixany imaxbel
opost -olcuc -ocrnl onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0 vt0 ff0
isig icanon iexten echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -xcase -tostop -echoprt echoctl echoke

I don't see ^G at all.

I ended up installing Solaris 11, but with the same beeping issued. But my beeping problems were finally solved with the infocmp commands here: Turn the Bell Off or On