SVN(subversion) installation on SLES 11

I had installed svn on SLES 11 using comands:
zypper addrepo http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:tools:scm:svn/SLE_11/devel:tools:scm:svn.repo
zypper refresh
zypper install subversion

But when I run svn it gives me error as:
linux-uw85:~/Desktop # svn help
svn: error while loading shared libraries: libserf-1.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

How to get this library issue resolved?

May be this link can help you

Subversion Users: Re: svn error, cannot find libsvn_client-1.so.0

1 Like

hey I had gone through that link earlier and it was of no help.
anyway thanks for the reply.

I just reinstalled the repo and retried the installation and now it works fine.

Re-installed the repository means? I guess repositories are created/associated with SVN as you did in your previous post.

For the problem of error loading of *.so files, it mostly happen (to any binary) due to mis-matched RPM package selection. For the binary installed by RPM/YUM installation on a newer system which contains higher version of the *.so file then expected by these binaries and usually it results in forward compatibility issues.

If you build from the source (instead of just using an rpm installation), these binaries on the system it's getting used then the problem of fwd compatibility won't occur at all.

---------- Post updated at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:06 PM ----------

Just checked further that Linux version of SVN uses:

libserf-0.so.0 =>        /usr/local/lib/libserf-0.so.0

But the version of compiled SVN should match (or at east lower with backward compatible) with the one installed on the system you are running SVN.