svn diff failed (no such file or directory)

I'm on ubuntu fiesty using svn as version control and gvim as my IDE.
i like to review changes to files before checking them in. at some point in my life i used
" svn diff {path}/{filename} "

this now returns
Index: {path}/{file}

exec of 'gvim -d' failed: No such file or directorysvn: 'gvim -d' returned 255

i don't know how to either make gvim work in this application, which would be ideal, or how to change the default editor that svn selects in order to make it work.

any suggestions would be much appreciated. thanks in advance,

sudo apt-get install vim-gnome

i already have vim-gnome installed.
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
vim-gnome is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

It would be intriguing to learn why it's trying to exec gvim -d for viewing a diff. Can you strace the svn process to see what it's trying to do?

there were two things that i learned that made this problem much easier to deal with.

1) the settings for svn are in ~/.subversion/config
within that files is a line that says
diff-cmd = gvim -d

i just changed that to
diff-cmd = diff

and my life got way better.

2) i learned about kompare. which is a pretty sweet tool for comparing files. you can use it like so

svn diff (filename) | kompare -
(notice the '-' at the end, it's important)

which is pretty sweet to display changes, but it's not immediately obvious as to how to make any edits or how to merge changes or anything.

for now i have a working solution. however my ideal situation would have been to get a gvim window with a vertical split with a file on each side (which is how "gvim -d filename1 filename2" looks).
i tried using the full path name to gvim in the config file to no avail. i'm currently happy with my small battle, but would love to be able to use gvim for svn diff.

You should also be able to use gvimdiff as the command.