SunOS sun4v sparc ntp service in maintenance mode.

Hi experts,

This is a production server.
Host information's are below

SunOS hostname_srv 5.10 Generic_150400-09 sun4v sparc sun4v

Now issue with ntp service, This host have zone in it with 9 hosts, Every hosts have ntp service issue. While i check for the service status it's in maintenance mode. Please have a look into below screenshot.

While getting more information about service using -x option found that service not running.

# svcs -x ntp

Troubleshooting's what i have performed:

Copied xntp xntpd from some other working server into current server using scp.

# cd /tmp

Changes the permission for those files and changed the ownership.

# chmod 555 xntp xntpd
# chown root:bin xntp xntpd

Then move those files to there corresponding directory.

# mv /tmp/xntp /lib/svc/method/
# mv /tmp/xntpd /usr/lib/inet/

After moving those two files i have disabled the ntp service and enable the service.

# svcadm disable svc:/network/ntp:default
# svcadm enable svc:/network/ntp:default

Then Checked for the status of ntp service.

# svcs ntp

This worked for me temporally, After some time it went into maintenance mode again. How can i fix this issue permanently.

Have a look at /var/svc/log/network-ntp:default.log , it might have useful information about why the service is failing.

1 Like

This is the expected behavior. You should simply disable the ntp service in all zones but the global one. There is no point having multiple ntp services trying to synchronize the single OS clock anyway.
If for some reason the global zone has no access to a ntp server but some non global one has, you can disable ntp on the global zone and enable it on that non global one. You must in that case grant the permission to set the clock to the latter.

1 Like

Service up and running (Online), But in zones it's disabled. Thanks