SunOS Popularity

Hey guys 3rd thred!!! :b:

Anyways.

I was looking into SunOS (Solaris/OpenSolaris) And i couldnt find anything about its popularity?

Does this mean its not a very popular operating system? If not can you please post the link to your source.

Thx

-Megadrink :cool:

Popular compared to what ?

Also you should specify popularity on what platforms/which usage you have in mind.

Until Sun released Open Solaris, it was an operating system largely confined to
to the business world, not personal desktops sitting in a bedroom.

If you are looking at it as an alternative to Linux, sure - go for it.

Solaris is popular in high-end servers , and also some people are using it for home OS :stuck_out_tongue:

now a days open solaris is very popular in personal desktops and solaris is used for server management and data base management....

Some people are using Solaris 10 for Desktop :):smiley:

yes, and why not? it's on my work laptop with installserver, patches, cam software and so on. all i need...

I have been using Solaris as my main desktop OS in the last decade or so and have no plan to change.

Ok Solaris is stable OS that is , but Solaris 10 is more for SF developers and for Java and ORACLE databases , but for home usage is O.K if I install KDE and some GUI tools because who wants to burn CD or DVD over Terminal

I certainly do. In any case, Solaris include brasero (Gnome CD/DVD recording GUI) in its later releases.

Shweet, thx guys.

Thats wicked.

never again GUI tools for burning CD on Solaris

Not sure to understand, it seems to me you contradict your previous statement.

I tred to burn ISO image but all data were corrupted , from now what i get with installation I will keep it

cdrw -i file.iso

is quite a simple syntax and what I use without any issue.