SunBlade 150 can't start openwin: /usr/openwin/bin/xinit: Server error.

Hi.

I have a Microsystems SunBlade 150

shell# cat /etc/release
Solaris 8 2/02 s28s_u7wos_08a SPARC

shell# uname -a
SunOS HOSTNAME 5.8 Generic_108528-14 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-100

shell# prtconf -F
/pci@1f,0/SUNW,m64B@13:m640

When I join to the only account the server try to launch de Windows Manager (openwin) but this error show:

/usr/openwin/bin/xinit: Server error.

I login with root and try to start X Window Manager (openwin) manually using:

shell# cd /usr/openwin/bin/
shell# ./openwin
VUIDFORMAT: Invalid argument

Fatal server error:
Failed to initialize core devices

/usr/openwin/bin/xinit: Server error

I try this second option manually:

shell# /usr/openwin/bin/openwin -dev /dev/fb

/usr/openwin/bin/xinit: Connection refused (errno 146): unable to connect to X Server
/usr/openwin/bin/xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

For second option I try to "reinstall Solaris 8" using the "original CD's" but when the CD Boot and I select the language and Keyboard, the system tru to launch a window manager but the same error appear "/usr/openwin/bin/xinit: Server error". So, I can't reinstall all the system to :frowning:

What happens when you run:

/usr/bin/startx

or

/usr/openwin/bin/startx

?

Or even:

/usr/openwin/bin/xinit  /usr/openwin/bin/xterm

Please list the entire directory:

ls -l /usr/openwin/bin/

and

ls -l /usr/bin/*x*

Thanks.

Hmmmmm........sounds like an interesting one. Also, sounds like a hardware issue to me.

The bit of your post that worries me is:

Windows won't launch unless it can address ALL the devices it uses; graphics card, monitor, keyboard and mouse.

I'd be inclined to power down, unplug and re-plug any all of those devices. I'd be giving the mouse a long hard look.
If you have another system, borrow devices from that one until it will boot from installation media. You don't need to proceed with any re-installation after you've determined what the problem is.

Sun's Xserver needs keyboard and mouse connected - otherwise it does not start.
Also the correct graphics driver must be installed. That means it should be included in the imstall image. (If not, install a later OS - the later the OS, the more drivers are included. Solaris 9 or 10 should have it.)
You can install the OS without an Xserver:

boot cdrom - nowin

and install the graphics driver later.
(BTW the generic graphics drivers are bad - after installation should be updated/patched.)
See also
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/817-0544/webstart-fig-112/index.html

Hi @Neo @ hicksd8 and @MadeInGermany thanks for your time and attention.

The problem was the Computer Hardware, because I did many tests with and without keyboard and mouse, and using another keyboard and mouse, but every time the same problem. So yesterday another Computer Hardware arrived, and all works good.

So, in conclution the first Computer Hardware have problems in the USB Ports or Chip Graphics.

I have installed now Solaris 8 :smiley:

Taking advantage of the thread ... is there a way to use the autocomplete in Unix? .... within Linux the autocomplete is done with the 'Tab' key.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like