Sun UNIX Files & Folders listing

Hi guys, i'm new to UNIX and only know a small amout about it, but have just had some changes at work which now require me to interact with and work on SUN Unix systems often. I have reasonable knowledge of PC's but hope that you will be able to help me with these questions.

Part1.
I would like to know if there is a program or Unix command that will make a text file out put or similar listing of all the directories & files on a SUN Ultra5 computer running SunOS 5.6?

Part2.
I am using a Windows2000 computer to telnet to the SUN Ultra5 computer on our office network, and would like to know(if the above program does exist) how to transfer a file from the W2K PC to the SUN computer using Telnet, and also from the SUN PC to the W2K PC?

Please let me know if there is any more information you require.

Welcome to the world of unix...we hope you enjoy your stay.

Part 1. The unix command "ls -Al" (without the quotes) will give you a listing of the files and directories in the current directory. You can do a "ls -Al > filename" which will put the output of the "ls -Al" command into a filename of your choosing. If you do a "ls -al" you will see all of the files plus the hidden . (dot) files.

Part 2. I'm not sure if telnet is what you should use. Telnet will allow you to connect to a unix box from a pc, but I'm not sure you can use it to transfer files. Best bet is to search the man pages on the unix box for ftp, i.e. man ftp.

Hope this gets you started. Good luck! :smiley:

"filename" is this just the name you want (i.e. "list.txt") and it will automaticaly drop it in your current directory? or is it the path to store the file in and the file name you want to save it as?

Thanks very much for you help so far.

Ok... i tried the
ls -Al >filename
but that only gave me a listing of the contents of the directory i was in(root) and not the sub-directories, so i tried...
ls -AlR >filename
which did give me a complete listing of all files, folders & contents of sub-directories.

To do the transfer of the file to my windows 2000 computer, i installed the free version of "FTP Commander" Free ftp client on my W2k PC then used it to open a FTP session to the SUN PC. This then alowed me to copy the file to my W2K PC easily.