SUN StorageTek tape drive with AIX 5.1

Hi,

I have recently purchase a SUN Storage Tek desktop LTO 4 HH tape drive and connected to a IBM AIX 5.1 server.

The server can detect the tape device.

Can someone please advice urgently.

Thanks

First off, please take notice of our "board-advice nr. 1":

if you need "urgent" help consider using our specialized board for emergency problems, which you can find here. Better yet, consider hiring a Unix consultant who could do it. Do not confuse our board here with a helpdesk, because we aren't one. Instead, the usual reaction to "urgent" requests here is a stony silence and you will not only not speed up things by asking "urgent" questions but more likely slow the reaction of the community down.

Second: We might - even given the circumstances - be inclined to help you once we know what your question is. Care to ask us something before urgently needing an answer? :wink:

bakunin

I forgot to add the question...:slight_smile:

Can the SUN Storage Tek desktop LTO 4 HH tape drive work with AIX 5.1??

Thanks.

I don't know. (Surprisingly enough i still haven't a sample of every hardware available on this planet under my desk to test.)

You said

so i suppose there is now a device "/dev/rmt[n]" which has been created during the run of "cfgmgr". Test it using the following procedure (replace "rmt0" with the actual device on your system):

First write something to the tape:
# cd /etc ; tar -cvf /dev/rmt0 .

then try to read what has been written:

# tctl -f /dev/rmt0 rewind
# mkdir -p /tmp/tapetest ; cd /tmp/tapetest ; tar -xvf /dev/rmt0
# ls -l

now eject the tape:

# tctl -f /dev/rmt0 rewoffl

If all this works I'd say you have a working tape device.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Thanks bakunin...

But i still dont have an rmt0 in dev directory after running cfgmgr...
Ive checked all the connections and they seem ok.
I can see the scsi adapter through which they connect when i run lsdev -Cc adapter but no tape device,....

I get the following warnings with cfgmgr:

cfgmgr: 0514-621 WARNING: The following device packages are required for
device support but are not currently installed.
devices.pci.scsi:devices.pci.00101010:devices.pci.00102100:devices.pci.pciclass.010000

I have tried cfgmgr -iv /dev/cd0 but still same issue.

Is there anything like a driver that needs to be installed on the AIX Server?