Sun Solaris Ultra 10 Not booting!

Hello
I have Sun Ultra 10 with Solaris 7 installed on it.
Sometimes back

after that the machine use to get hang .Even after
rebooting the system was not booting.
I have manually switch on /off many times from the
power board itself .Once in a while it
use to boot .After booting the machine use to work
for few days .Then after that again
same thing use to happen . Now the machine is
completely down not booting at all (black screen!)

Need help..

Best Regards
turki

listen to the tower; do you hear hdd is spinning ? or some bad sound indicate to hw failure ? maybe just display is gone ?
did you try stop + A then to get ok prompt ??

yes the disk is spinning
i can hear that
but nothing on the display.
may be faulty monitor !

can i attache non-sun monitor to sun box (ultra 10) ?

I think yes, you can attach none sun based monitor to ultra 10 .But I am not sure which type of plug interface you need ? I used TFT monitor and other brand names CRT monitors but unfortunately I don t remember about connection interface ..

Try using a laptop and connecting to the serial port then power cycle the server to see if you can get the display to come up in hyper terminal. Then you know it's either the monitor or VC

I've had all kinds of problems with my Ultra-10s centered around memory. I don't know if it's bad memory, bad connections, oxidisation, corrosion or what. I was getting "RED STATE EXCEPTION" after the machine warmed up which tended to kill things. I eventually junked the two 256Mb memory DIMMS and now use just two 128Mb.

Then there is the whole "bad capacitor" lark.

I have the same problem... I just got a sun ultra 10 with a non sun monitor that will not boot and i can hear the hard drive spinning... has anyone resolved this yet or have any other troubleshooting steps i might try?

power off, disconnect monitor and keyboard, attach a terminal (9600,n,8,1) to the first serial port, power up.

thanks, i appreciate it.... problem is is that im a very very new user and dont know exactly what that kind of terminal is... im trying to learn unix and i basically just found this thing and now im trying to get it to work.... an absolute newbie that really wants to learn... i've done quite a bit of reading (including on sun's site) but i wouldnt know where to get a terminal......any suggestions would be really appreciated!!!!!!!

It sounds like an HDD or memory failure. Memory would typically be indicated by some sort of message. It could be the HDD controller has failed so the disk spins but no data can be retrieved..... definitely check what a serial connection shows... hope that helps

how do i do that? do i have to find a monitor that has a serial connector (one that looks like a serial keyboard connector) and plug that in?

to throw another reason into the bag it can even be overheating due to a fan gave up working

... going by not so good memory here...

There is a chip that looks like a black caterpillar in the motherboard that powers the OBP, which has a battery (I believe is the CMOS?, don't remember). When this battery starts dying, sometimes you'll be able to boot (if you leave the system off for a while) sometimes you won't. You'd need to replace it.
If this is the problem, you will get a message in the console that would say somethiing about the motherboard time not being correct...