Sun Solaris 8

Infor: Sun Ultra10 (SPARC) OS: Sun solaris 8
symptom:
1.I have installed Sun Solaris8 on my workstation , when i run 'man ls',the system prompt 'no manual entry for ls'. but in solaris7 it works well. it bothers me.Pls help me.

2. When i run 'shutdown now', the system prompt 'Showmount : sun8 : RPC : Program not registered', i can't shutdown my machine,i  have to turn off  the power directly.

I hope someone can help me, thanks in advance.

it seem you did not install the man pages during your installation on solaris 8, to install the man
page check your installation CD for SUNman, once you find the package you could install it by using the pkgadd -d SUNman command or check the following web site www.sun.com or
sunsolve.sun.com

shutdown now does not work on solaris to shutdown your solaris use this command shutdown -i0 -y -g0 or init 0

To reboot solaris machine use this command
shutdown -i6 -y -g0 or init 6

Thank you for your help,it does work!!!!

See this thread for my comments on the rpc message during the shutdown.

However, Sun supplies two versions of the shutdown command: /usr/sbin/shutdown and /usr/ucb/shutdown. The latter will understand "shutdown now" while the former will not.

The ucb version of shutdown is undocumented on Sun so I never use it on a Sun. But referring to my 4.3BSD manual, "shutdown now" will only take the system to single user mode. "shutdown -h now" will halt the box. And "shutdown -r now" will reboot. And all of this jibes with the HP-UX version of shutdown which is decended from the BSD version.

"When in Rome, do as the Romans..." I think you would be better off switching to /usr/sbin/shutdown on Sun boxes. First of all it is documented. (which won't help you until you install those man pages) And secondly, it is what most Sun people expect as you can see from Hassan2's comments. If you are going to continue using /usr/ucb/shutdown, at least mention this explicitly. A lot of Sun users don't even know about /usr/ucb/shutdown.

Thanks,,,I see.

On my machine, I had the same problem, but after running catman it was solved.