Sun 280r serial number

is there a command i can run at the ksh that will give me the serial number on solaris?

solaris 8, and 9
280r servers

as far as i know is there no command so see the system-serial number. you can find many serial numbers of your hardware but not for the whole mashine. you can find the system-serial number on the back, right of the onboard SCSI connector.

gP

Correct, the closest thing to a serial number you can get is the serial number of the id PROM.

All wrong big boys.

What your looking for a a command called "serialid" if you dont have it then get it or let your fingers do the walking (Yellow pages for a taxi)

You should have this file try one of your Sunfire servers

Usually kept in /opt/FJSVmadm/sbin if not I can email you a compiled copy

WRONG! that does not give the serial number of the chasis. The only place to get that is on the chasis.

A path like /opt/FJSV is a clue that you're dealing with a Fujitsu PRIMEPOWER. I was not aware of the serialid command. I just tried it on one of our Fujitsu's and it did indeed return the serial number on the label on the front panel of the box. That is very cool and I'm glad to learn about that command.

However this thread is about obtaining the serial number of a Sun Fire 280R by using a similiar command. (The OP made that clear in the title of the thread and by mentioning the model number explicitly in the first post.) Doing that is not possible.

Guys, was there misleading with "serial number on solaris"?
Anyway, for the OS version, uname and showrev. For "system-wide" identification, hostid, see quote from Solaris hostid manpage:
>hostid- print the numeric identifier of the current host

Tom

... unless i'm severely mistaken, the hostid is related to the MAC address of the box which is easily gathered through ifconfig ... it does NOT give you the box's serial number ...

You are right. The hostid is composed of machine type byte plus last three bytes of MAC. Unfortunately, serial number is composed of the MAC addr as well. That is Hw serial number = decimal string (last three byte of MAC). That is the serial number you would see on screen when you boot up.

Yes, that's the ID PROM serial number I was talking about. It's not the same as the chassis serial, bu about the best you can do without physically looking at the machine.

i just checked a box here and the last 3 characters of the hardware serial number is NOT the same last 3 characters of the hostid nor the mac ... is it possible that you are thinking about the serial number on the network card?

I was unclear in my post, I meant the serial displayed during boot, not how it was constructed. I have never bothered to look at how that was composed.

[ Thanks to Perderabo for pointing out this thread in a related but more generic thread ]

To try to clear up a little confusion long after anyone cares,
the serial number reported with the banner is the decimal equivalent of the hostid, which is (in the case of much of the Sun hardware) based on the ethernet MAC address of the built-in ethernet.

None of these are the same (or even much related to) the Chassis Serial Number which is written on the "yellow sheet" of paperwork which comes with the box, and is on a tag somewhere on the box. For the location of the tag, see the Sun System Handbook @ http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub .

For example, my 280R reports in OBP a serial of 2200545206 which is the decimal equivalent of the hostid 8329a7b6 and is clearly related to the MAC address of 0:3:ba:29:a7:b6 .
However, the actual Chassis Serial is 308AD202B .

For anyone actually trying to keep of the Chassis serial number or other information closely related to the box (asset number, location, serial numbers of attached storage, etc.) there is now a tool available from Sun called SNEEP which takes care of permanently storing the serial and other information in the system eeprom and giving you simple access to it in software.

For more information and download of sneep, see Hardware | Oracle

Keep the packing slip that came with the server - it has both the server serial number (manufactoring number) and the hostid (host identification number). Plus the list of parts that came with the original purchase.

Since anything that could hold the information inside the server could be replaced, it would still be a manual process to enter it. If you are using snmp to monitor your servers, you can use one of those fields to enter the server serial number.

Here is a link to the breakdown of the server serial number:

http://www.sunshack.org/data/pnumber.html

Serial Number you can get by below commands.
eeprom -v | grep Serial
showplatform -v
sneep -v

the commands only work if you've entered the serial number before with the sneep tool. and showplatform is an "lom" command. the 280r doesn't have an "lom"! so, without entering the number yourself there is NO command to see the serialnumber of a sun box!

btw. the last answer to this thread is over 2 years old...

Sneep has been updated to find the serial number on many of the more recent platforms which have "hardware" support for the chassis (product) serial.
( Unfortunately, that does not include the 280R.)

Now, getting the serial from sneep does not necessarily imply that you have had to set it manually yourself.

Sneep has also moved -
the Sun Download Center insists on having a new URL for every update of a package.

For more information and to download sneep, see http://www.sun.com/sneep ... Sun Sneep - Serial Number in EEPROM

The new URL should not change, as it will forward you to whatever the current download URL is.

The new updates for sneep can find the serial on many Sun and x86 platforms without entering it yourself. [ Many of the newer platforms support this, and future Sun machines will be required to provide a software-accessible serial.]
The 280 is not one of these systems, so it is true that there is still no way to see the serial on a Sun 280R without entering it into sneep or somewhere else.

As for the posting being over 2 years old, there is no time limit on being helpful, and new people looking for answers to similar questions come across these old posts all the time. So thanks for continuing to update the information here.

So am I, and if someone will post an example of the invocation of the command and its output, I will see about using it as a serial source in an update to sneep.