storEDGE A5000 disk Array

Do you know how do I make my solaris 8 detect the storEDGE A5000?.
I have problem making it recognise, without that I cannot install VxVM.

Any ideas?

install and patch your solaris with latest patch cluster (download at: sunsolve.sun.com). after that install the SAN foundation suite...

read here for why and how to get it:
Updating Fibre Channel Drivers to Use Sun StorEdge SAN Foundation Software

directlink for download:
https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS\_SMI-Site/en\_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=StoreEdgeSw-4.0-G-F@CDS-CDS_SMI

but better read at the first link on how to do it!

good luck...

Is this applicable to Solaris 8?.

Sorry for the cross post.

Just saw Solaris 8 in the list. Let me try reading it, Thanks much

worked fine!. Do you know where can I find Veritas 3.2, symantec seems to have it owned the company. I have the license, cant find the software.

A5k huh? Wow it's been ages, lets see what I can recall ...

once you link your fibre cable between server and storage gbic, run the following command

luxadm probe - it should show you what is the A5K enclosure name I think.

luxadm display <enclosure> - will display the disk WWN and status of the disks.

there is a lot of other luxadm commands that you can use like commands to online offline disks, flashing leds. Do a man luxadm to find out more.

On the A5k there is a small touch screen where you can configure single or split loop. Usually unless it's a cluster, single loop is sufficient for a one host connected to A5K. Also If I remember correctly there is a small keyboard or number keypad on the touch screen where you can set the enclosure name here.

You need to add entries into your sd.conf file under /kernel/drv.

backup the file first before doing any modifying.

Once you modified the file,

in / do a touch reconfigure or reboot -- -rv

When server comes up you should be able to see the disk(when you do format), can't remember if is necessary to do any drvconfig or not.

There is a very old FCO I can't remember exactly but it says the A5K has to have a minumum of 3-4 disk, if I remember correctly slot 1,3,5<cant remember last one> needs to be filled with harddisk otherwise there will be some strange problem.

I recall that there is also another old FCO or FIN, a particularly brand of gbics frequently give online/offline loop problems the solution I think is to change to use IBM manufactured gbics.

thats all I have, good luck.

Also, if my memory serves, on earlier OS like 2.6(not sure for sol8) you do not need to get a volume manager license if you have an A5k. When you install vm during vx-install it should detect your A5K and give you a license automatically. But license only allows for simple mirroring and concats.

We got it fixed, but looks like the license is per hostID(or chassis) . Need to update in symantec. Thanks for your feedback was really useful.