Starting X in NetBSD

Hi I have NetBSD and i am having a trouble Starting X. It keeps asking me for the config file and I run the text confing file but it messes up. I really want to be able to run the Graphical Setup. I read about the Graphical setup from a book but they didn't tell how to start it. help please!?

Have you tried running the command "startx"?

Are you using XFree86 3.3.6 or XFree86 4.x.x?

i am running XFree86 and I think i have to configure the config file. But when ever i try to there is some error like: "screen cannot be found" or something.

But which version of XFree86 are you running.

For example, with the distribution of FreeBSD you can install XFree86 3.3.6 or you can compile a newer version, XFree86 4.1.0. The configuration for each version is different from each other and it is important to know the version of XFree86 that you are trying to run.

If you don't know the version of XFree86, then it might be narrowed down by what Unix flavor that you are using.

Try running the command "uname -a" to let us know what system you're using. Also, for configuration, try running the command "xf86config" as root. And please try to capture somehow the actual error you're getting. It'll help pinpoint the problem a lot better.

ok i used the uname -a command and found out that i am running "NetBSD 1.5.2". The X that I am using is the standard one that comes with the system install. I have been messing around with the xconfig and i get this error: " Fatal server error: no screens found"

Aha!

Chances are it is XFree86 3.3.6.

You should be able to run XF86Setup to setup the goods on your box. This is a more graphical setup routine than xf86config, which is dull and boring and text only.

Please note that the case is sensitive for XF86Setup xf86Setup will not work!

You can also try xf86cfg but that is the graphical setup program for XFree86 4.x.x.

can u go to # xconfigurator as root ? Fatal server error: no screens found" < i experienced before. And also i agree what auswipe says that Xfree86 problem. I tried to figure it out, cant get an answer. I reinstall the Xfreee86 problem solved.

ok thanks i will get right into NetBSD and try that! Thanks so much!