Starting Applications With X

So, I wanted to see if I could just use X without a desktop. I installed Debian from a netinstall on a vm and installed xorg with apt. Logged in as a normal user with startx and had a big black background. Seemed like everything was working as expected, so I went to configure tint2 at start up. I tried putting it in .xinitrc and .xsessions, but neither worked even though a lot of online tutorials suggested this. Even tried making a script in /etc/profile.d/, but that didn't work either.

I should note I also tried restarting X and rebooting to make sure things worked or didn't. Not sure if maybe some syntax has changed for this, but any suggestions would be much appreciated.

You are attempting to run X as a client on a server which is not running a window manager?

Is that right?

Just trying to run it as a window manager. Like openbox. I know those aren't the same, but openbox was the closest I know as neither are desktops. I guess that's client mode?

Yes, but what window manager are you running?

Or, are you trying to run only a single xterm ?

Please list the exact commands you are running (or attempting to run) in the exact order of execution.

Preferably cut-and-paste all your command from your terminal window and post the results back here using code tags.

Thanks.

Reference: