Start windows application (.bat) from Unix

How can I start an application sitting on a windows machine (XP) from Unix shell script (AIX server) ?

Do you want the long answer, or the short one?

Long answer is preferred. Even if you can point to a link ..that's fine. Thanks. I can't seem to find a way to start .bat file

The long answer goes "you really can't".

(for completion the short one says "you can't").

But perhaps you're interested in converting some ".bat" code into ksh?

Are you familiar with PC Windows?
Read up on scheduling tasks (accessories, system tools, scheduled tasks)
[note, some versions of windows might be a bit different to get there]

Create a scheduled task to run some 1.bat file
In normal operation, this 1.bat file will do no work

Now, on unix, create a text file of your 1.bat file to run on Windows
ftp it to your PC
Now, at the next scheduled execution, it will run.

Some things to think about:
may want to create a 2.bat
have the last line of 1.bat call 2.bat
but, the 2.bat file deletes the 1.bat file you just moved and ran once
AND, makes the 1.bat into its do-nothing original format

Worth reading up on Microsoft SUA (Subsystem for Unix Applications) and SFU (Services for unix).

A quick Google of your keywords picked up this site (no endorsement or warrany implied, but quite a good read):
How to run a Windows BAT file from rsh command from UNIX (AIX) ?

Hmm: This is a classic case of someone presenting us with a solution "start .bat file" without presenting the problem or any information about the application (like whether it needs KVM) or the version of AIX.

I have written a unix Script to upload and run a Batch File on a Windows 2003 Server without any special software and just armed with my own Windows account username and password. This is such a horrendous security hole that I will not publish the method on the Internet even though I read it in a "tips" book!

I've done this before.
I installed cygwin on the target windows machine, configured sshd and exchanged keys with the remote Unix server.
Then used ssh to access the windows machine from Unix and then you may start the application.