stage 1 boot failure: error loading hd (40)/boot

hi

SCO Unix 5.0.6 doesn't boot due to this problem:

not a directory
boot not found
cannot open
stage 1 boot failure: error loading hd (40)/boot

Knows someone howto solve it?

If this message occurs while booting the native operating system then you have destroyed the active partition on the disk.

The system was crashing completely and now it doesn't boot.

Is it any software to boot from CD to repair the MBR or Partition Table from SCO unix or howto read files from the SCO file system?

The master boot block is probably intact, as the system knows which partition to try to boot.
I would get a new hard drive, install 5.0.6 on it, and then add the current drive as a second disk.
If this is a SCSI system don't forget to change the scsi id, and most scsi drives have a read only jumper, set it.
If it is an IDE system, then either make the drive a slave and add to the primary controller, or add to the secondary controller (depending where the CD drive is connected)
Use mkdev hd to add the drive, do NOT make any new filesystems when running divvy.

Thx a lot,

Where can I download setup software of 5.0.6?

I cannot find a setup CD and cannot find under:

ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/openserver5/

BTW is it any other way to read SCO file system instead of add the current drive as a second disk?

Deeper doodoo.
The 5.0.6 Media kit is not available on SCO's web site.
Download the 5.0.7 CD, and install it. You can install it for a 30 day evaluation, then follow the instructions to add a second disk.
Once you have salvaged the data that you need from the old disk, you will have to decide what to do if you don't have a 5.0.6 media kit, and or license data.
5.0.7 includes the program 'cdrecord' which will allow you to create standard CD or DVD disks. You can write to dual layer DVD's (9.4GB) using an LG brand DVD writer that sells for about 25 dollars US.

Thx, I've download OSR507V_hv_1.0.0Fe.iso, burned on CD, but the machine won't boot from this CD.
I cannot understand why, in the Bios Boot Order is CD on the top.

Did you make a data disk, or did you copy a disk image to the CD. Put the Cd in a Windows system, and if the only file ends in .iso then you will have to make another copy.
(using Nero express, take the option to copy an image file.)

I would be tempted to attempt it a different way.

Replace the hard drive and create the operating system on it. mkdev hd for the old drive as a secondary then see what the root directory looks like on both and if the newer is smaller then dd the new root across to the old root.
Then put the old drive back in and see if it wouldn't work.

So far as the looking, you could create bootable media and use it to look at the root file system, or at the divisions.

Thx, but if I boot the damaged system using bootable OSR507V_hv_1.0.0Fe.iso, then can I see and read all partitions and files?

Follow these instructions to get to a shell from the installation CD. You should be able to view the contents of the original disk, you will have to mount them one at a time to /mnt on the CD.
Get "Stage1 boot failure: error loading hd(40)/boot" after installation of SCO Openserver 5.0.7.

I still think you should take the extra hour to fully install 5.0.7 on a new drive. You will have more tools at your disposal, and you will be able to copy any data that you find.

You grabbed the wrong ISO imzage. 507v is for use with VMWare. You want the 50-7 ISO, not 507V.

---------- Post updated at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:42 PM ----------

You grabbed the wrong ISO imzage. 507v is for use with VMWare. You want the 507 ISO, not 507V.

I've download OpenServer-5.0.7Hw-10Jun05_1800.iso, burned on CD and try to boot the damaged system, but I cannot start a Live system, just asks me for a installation and seems to install a new system.

BTW I cannot find a license key of the existing 5.0.6 system, but I think 5.0.7 needs a new key.
Howto to get a trial key?

5.0.6 and older keys will not work with 5.0.7. Its been a while since I installed 5.0.7, but I think that you can press F8 on the license input screen to get a trial license. The older media kits had a temporary license on a sheet of paper.

Thx again, but my question is, can I boot the damaged hard disk using OpenServer-5.0.7Hw-10Jun05_1800.iso and mount partitions without installing a new system? I mean, without adding a second hard disk.

See post 11.

1 Like

I've followed this instruction, but using a swiss german keyboard I cannot set (`) back quotes for this command:

# dparam /dev/rhd00 `dparam /dev/rhd00`

Keyboard layout is still US.
Is there any trick to get back quote (`) using physical swiss german keyboard and US layout?

BTW which US keyboard layout uses SCO Openserver 5.0.7 in a command shell running in RAM?