SSH w/ command in authorized_keys apparently needs pty

I'm trying to have an unattended remote PC log some data on home PC.
man sshd says I should be able to put a command in authorized_keys.
This is what I have on the remote machine. The key is a special key that isn't used elsewhere.

In my ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file on my desktop:

command="/bin/cat >> /home/ken/text/limited.log" ssh-dss AAAAB3Nz ...

Then to write the data, I issue this command on the remote machine, where desk_pc is the IP of my desk PC:

echo "$(date +%D)  Data ...." | ssh -x -i ~/.ssh/special_id_dsa desk_pc

I think this should work, but it doesn't.
I think my desktop it's trying execute the received text instead of cat it to the log file. This is displayed on the remote machine:

Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal.

-bash: line 1: 07/09/11: No such file or directory

Do I need a pty? How can I get stdin written to a file without a pty if I need one?
How do I get it to execute the /bin/cat command, not the received text?

how about telling it to execute /bin/cat.

echo "$(date +%D)  Data ...." | ssh -x -i ~/.ssh/special_id_dsa desk_pc /bin/cat '>>' /path/to/remote/file

Note the single quotes around the >>, necessary to prevent it redirecting locally.

You only need a pty for interactive programs, cat isn't.

I can do that with my regular key file. But I'm trying to limit this key so it can only cat data to the log file.

I won't be there to type in a passphrase or password, so security has to be a little weak. But I want to limit the weakness as much as possible.

Have you considered reversing the order ?

That will be much easier to setup and more secure since the log generating machine will not be able to connect @ all to desk_pc.
While desk_pc will be able ssh to log machine and execute specific command/script only (as per key setup).

The problem is, the remote site may have it's IP address changed, so I won't be able to ssh to it until I get the new IP address.

That's actually the main reason I want to do this. I can easily tell it my home IP address through a tiny file on a public site. But I have to give it the power to write something somewhere to tell me it's IP address.

This should be simple. And it almost works. But it doesn't.

How about something like:

command="echo \"$SSH_ORIGINAL_COMMAND\" >> /home/ken/text/limited.log" ssh-dss AAAAB3Nz ... 

No matter what I echo, it never writes to the log.
In fact, I tried to just touch the log, but it was not created.
The "command=" options seems to always be ignored.

Actually, that's not right. I put -v on ssh in my experimenting and found that ssh not only looks at the key I provided on the command line with -i, but it also considers the other key that is held in memory in unencrypted form by an ssh-agent process. It apparently chooses the one it wants, NOT the one I specified.

The usual method of figuring out anything's IP address would be a DNS server. Just because you have a dynamic one doesn't rule this out... There's free DNS hosting available from various places, and your computer would keep the DNS entry updated by running a small monitor script.

Keeping going with your current solution, if you don't want it to use ssh-agent, you can just undo the environment variables ssh-agent sets:

export SSH_AGENT_PID=""
export SSH_AUTH_SOCK=""

It's not that I don't want to use ssh-agent, it's that you have to be present after a reboot to type in the passphrase to unlock the secret key to use it. The nature of a remote system is that I won't be present.

But, actually, I think this might work after all. I killed ssh-agent and ran ssh (the remote computer isn't remote yet--it's right here), and it did indeed use the key I specified and I think it executed the bash script I set "command" equal to in that test.

I have to experiment some more to see if it really will do just what I need.

Well, sure, but you had the agent going anyway, and it messed up your program. I'm just telling you how to force it not to use ssh-agent without actually killing the agent. You can easily save the values for later if you want to put them back.

Yeah, I know about DynDNS, no-ip, ChangeIP and others.

I thought about that at one point, but I wanted to do it this way instead.
Though I guess I'll look into that if I can't get this to work.

---------- Post updated at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:54 PM ----------

Ah! I see. I'll have to try that when I get back to it.

I have a similar problem and I have a solution that I've used for many years and has worked without much of a glitch.

First on my home server I have lynx installed, using it I have a script to get the ip by calling w w w . whatismyip . com (or another of the IP services), then I send an eMail with it and I update my home page on the homepage served by my ISP for my server.

My favorite such site is queryip.net/ip/ because you don't have to use lynx or much of a script to scrape the IP. The IP address is all that's returned. Here's the whole script:

IP=$(curl -s http://queryip.net/ip/)
# or
IP=$(wget -q -O- http://queryip.net/ip/)

Also, if your ISP maps your address to a URL (most do), you can get it this way:

URL=$(curl -s http://queryip.net/url/)

Emailing it to myself is, of course, an option. I did that one place, but email turned out to be more fragile than I would have guessed. I have to authenticate myself to my ISP, so I must store my email password on the remote, and there's a third party involved with a not-very-trivial protocol.

I was hoping this would be simpler. Actually, I have it working well enough to achieve my purposes, but after I started working on it, I decided to expand it to a general logging capability. But that's not working. But I don't really need that, so maybe I'll let well-enough alone.